What's new

Queen Question (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone here know who the song "Death on Two Legs" from "Night at the Opera" is about. I never really thought about it being about a specific person. But, today, I was listening to the "Live Killers" album and when they do the song, Freddy says "This song is about..."and what he says after that was bleeped out. I figured he named someone and it got bleeped out for legal reasons. Anyone know?

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
It's about the same person as Carly Simon's "Your So Vain" song. Just kidding.

I think it is one of those songs, like "Your So Vain", that we are not supposed to know who it is about. That's what makes it so mysterious.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about the bleep (I've heard various things from the name to calling the person a "#@*!face"), but the song is about a former Queen manager who took more than his share of the money, IIRC.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I kind of figured the "You're so Vain" type of thing myself, until I heard the bleeps on the Live Killers album. Figured that Freddie could have specifically named someone for the album to be bleeped.

I was thinking it must have been someone along those lines.

Niels Hansen

Auditioning
From The Complete Guide to the Music of Queen:

"The group previewed the new album to the media at a promotional party at Roundhouse Studios, announcing that it was the most expensive album ever made. But it nearly became a lot more expensive when Norman Sheffield of Trident threatened to sue both Queen and EMI for libel, over the song 'Death On Two Legs'. The song was subtitled 'dedicated to...', and Mr Sheffield must have assumed that the dedication was meant for him, as was the sheer vitriol of the lyrics ("you've taken all my money"), despite the fact that Queen had never named names, in print or verbally. EMI eventually settled with Sheffield out of court."

From Wikipedia:

"Death On Two Legs" was written by Mercury about their former manager and Trident Studios co-owner Norman Sheffield, though the dedication was removed to avoid legal issues. Queen never felt Sheffield gave them the promotional or financial support, so ties were cut before the "Opera" recording sessions began.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Good info. Thanks. It does explain why the bleeps in "Live Killers" might have been there.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as how this is a Queen thread, and Live Killers has been mentioned... ;)

I just picked up the Live at the Bowl CD. Pretty good song selection, and pretty good sound. I really wanted it for Dragon Attack, but it's just an OK version. Sort of medley'ed with Now I'm Here.

Someday, I'd like to get a good live version of White Man too. I have it on a bootleg, but it's just so so quality. Anyway, back to the normally scheduled programming...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks