What's new

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced! (1 Viewer)

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Gord - I don't expect you to burn yourself in front of the Universal headquarters to fight for the music rights - however there should have been a news item informing potential buyers of the music replacement.

This kind of information is what I thought TVShowsOnDVD.com was about.

I can get release dates and covers everywhere - I used to come to your site for deeper information.

Since you failed to cover the biggest TV-on-DVD news of the recent weeks (yes, you did mention it in your review after it was released - but that was too little, too late) your website is no longer the reliable resource for TV-on-DVD news that it once was.

This basically means that we now have to always wait until a set is released and then watch this messageboard for information whether it's been screwed up or not.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think it's pretty unfair to deride TV Shows on DVD for not making a federal case out of the changed music issue. For most people, they wouldn't even notice it, and I would prefer sites rely on their own observations rather than relying in heresay on the web for reporting their news. You can't expect anyone to be a forensic expert when it comes to music for every TV related release that comes out. These guys run a free website, and provide plenty of useful and early info on shows we may be interested in. Cut them some slack.

I hadn't seen Northern Exposure in well over a decade before writing my review for dOc, and to be honest, it wasn't until it was pointed out that music was missing that I noticed it. I have been rewatching the set, and it still doesn't jump out, and in that sense Universal has done a good job. I can only make assumptions as to why the original music isn't intact, but there is probably a very good reason, since it would have been far easier to to go with an existing soundtrack than go back and change it.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

If you reread my post you'll see that I wasn't asking for that.

Just a small news item saying "Music replaced on Quantum Leap Season Two".

Them not reporting this is like 'The Digital Bits' not reporting if 'The Return of King' was only released in Fullscreen (without it being mentioned on the cover).

And mentioning it somewhere in a review is not enough.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
I would think that asking studios to place important changes they make on the box would be a good fight to pick up. It's one thing to give up on the music replacement fight, it's another to roll over on the fact that you won't find out until you bring it home and pop it in the player. Most stores won't take returns on opened dvds, only offer product exchanges. Music changes are a make or break for a lot of consumers. Not informing the consumer is a fairly deceptive business practice.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I agree, but I think that the studios don't consider replacing the music is an important change. I will really have to think twice before I purchase Season 2. It is a real shame because I was looking forward to purchasing this with all the original music.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I am kind of disappointed in TVShowOnDVD too especially since in the first season review Gord realized how much concern there was among fans about the fact that all the music would be there and with the second season, they find out it is replaced and instead of posting a news item on it, they sort of sweep it under the rug to stay in the good graces of Universal.

I can understand you have to serve two masters, but music changes are still news when a show changes it policy from one season to another. I paid $35 I probably wouldn't have spent if I had known and I can't get back because of it.

Paul

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Hardly. I bet that most people won't even notice the music was changed. That's not to say it isn't worth mentioning, but it is not that big an issue to many people.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
The replacement song seems too up tempo, they should have gone with a song with a more of a blue feel to it than what they did.

Paul

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I'm still going to pick up the set. I probably won't even notice the change. I don't care to find out either as it's been 14 years since I've seen the episodes. Of course I would have preferred to have the original music in place. But then again I would rather have the set as is then not have the set at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Dammit. I'd love to have that scene, that episode, that season. This is the most painful marred DVD I've yet encountered.

I wonder if it's a problem with the Carmichael estate, or why couldn't they at least get another version of Georgia? Hoagy's original version was uptempo, but he did a real nice slow version later on.

At least the replacement song has a nice period feel, but I still can't bite the bullet on this one.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Yikes, that replacement music for Georgia is dreadful!!

I really don't mind music being replaced if it's any good (I actually prefer the Airplane II home video version for example), but that up-tempo, bargain-bin, ugly instrumental POS brought down the entire scene. I'd rather have had silence. Whoever chose it must be pretty fluent with their sign language.

:angry: :angry:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I also have to post briefly to express my disappointment with this substitution. Yet another release I will be able to skip the next time I go DVD shopping. It's getting to the point where more than 50% of the product I'd love to buy have made alterations which I will not pay for.

On a side note I have to sharply disagree with Gord in his decision and rational for not covering this story. I think this type of information IS news of the type their site purports to cover, and not having a news item about it seems a bit short sighted.

While I don't think a giant feature is warranted, I think as soon as major alterations on ANY dvd TV set is noted, it is in the best interest of your site to run a brief news item. Your target audience has spoken here in this thread, and most were disappointed you chose to skip this news.

Speaking as a guy who used to run a $10,000 a month website and promptly ran it into the ground-- you should spend a good deal of your time and effort thinking from the POV of your audience and what information they find important--- because if you don't, someone else will.

-V

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Considering the number of alterations being made for music now its probably become to much of a work load for those that work on the site. Perhaps someone could join their efforts and report the alterations for them. They do a most excelent job on the rest of the site. But if they are anything like me they don't spend all day working on the site. I would volunteer my services to the music changes subject but I'm not privvy to the information before hand. I always have to look somewhere after the item is released to see if there is anything I'm not going to like about it before I buy.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'll look into creating a user-submitted list of alterations for DVD sets listed on the site, that way people could submit things they notice, Dave and I won't have to put up news for everything, and everyone should be happy, right?

People will be able to view the list of releases with alterations, check to see if a specific title has been altered, or view a list of new additions to the list.

Any other comments about this?

Gord

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I would welcome that, too Gord!
One problem it won't fix is that of customers who preorder and are still dissappointed when they hear of alterations while their set is shipped or they already have it at home. I see that not every reviewer can be a fan of a show he reviews so he won't notice if there are changes. That's why notification in advance is complicated.

Honesty on the side of the industry is what's needed most of all in my opinion!
It would be ideal if the studios would mention changes in their press releases so that you can forward those via your site to us.

What I also would welcome is that one studio would give an HONEST example what a show like QL or something else would cost the consumer with full music. As it is I suspect the industry is just being to cheap and lazy (can't prove it of course but they don't exactly go out of their way to prove me wrong with some solid numbers).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

My only concern would be verifying the accuracy of the information posted. Perhaps it should be classified as rumor or confirmed somehow. People would be equally pissed off if they heard the show was edited, and then didn't preorder, only to find out later it was fine, and had to pay a higher price. There is also the issue of how much of the soundtrack has been altered, which could also affect a person's buying decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks