What's new

Quantum Leap at last? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wasn't the Twin Peaks situation a rights issue? I don't watch the show, so that may be inaccurate. At any rate, I don't see a scenario where the QL pilot is left off. Fewer people have the out-of-print pilot disc than not, I would imagine, and leaving it off would probably lose a few customers and knock the episode count down to 7 episodes.

Maybe the Battlestar situation is instructive, as Universal released the movie version of the pilot long ago and included it in its original format in the current box. They also made the movie version available separately, I believe.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Finally it's coming! tvshowsondvd.com reports a 2 disc set containing the first season (8 episodes) is coming on June 8. SRP is supposedly $59.98, I hope that's just a mistake. No other details are available yet, and here's the link to the article.

Chris

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I just hope that they'll keep all of the original music.

I don't care if they replace the music on shows like Dawson's Creek or Roswell but Quantum Leap wouldn't be the same without the music.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
What music would they replace? It wasn't a music driven show so I would think that there wouldn't be that much to deal with would there?

- Randy

Ryan Sloan

Auditioning
Fantastic news, indeed. It's one of the few shows I've voted for at TVShowsOnDVD, and I can't wait for the release. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yes, that is a frickin rip-off for a 2-disc set (only 9 hours of programming) if that MSRP is correct. The sad thing is, I would pay any price for QL. Awesome news. Welcome home, Sam!

John Simon

Second Unit
I'm thrilled to hear this news, but a little concerned about the price-to-content ratio. And I have a question: why 2 dual-sided DVDs if there only 9 eps? Even with extras, that should only take 3 one-sided DVDs (which, IIRC, is cheaper than 2 dual-sided discs).

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
What music would they replace? It wasn't a music driven show so I would think that there wouldn't be that much to deal with would there?
Are we talking about the same show?
The show where in almost every single show they used famous songs from that era to represent the time-period that Sam has leaped into?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Well, I guess this is a case by case thing depending on the episode. Good Morning Peoria will certainly cause huge problems. Sam leaps into a radio DJ, and there's a huge amount of popular oldies there. Also the episode where he leaps into Elvis will be problematic, and I dunno what the rights situation is for songs that are sung by the cast instead of being the original recording (e.g. Imagine and some Man of La Mancha songs, all sung by Scott). Believe me, there's quite a few episodes that might be more than problematic.

And regarding the SRP: At first I was sure this was a typo, but since Northern Exposure has the same SRP for a 2 disc set, I'm getting a bit nervous. 60 bucks SRP would certainly be hugely overpriced. What the hell are they planning to charge for the longer seasons, if this is indeed correct??

Chris

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Well it did use some commercial music...

I especially remember the episode where Sam leaps back as himself and he sings John Lennon's Imagine to his sister...that episode would absolutely HAVE to have the original music. At the price they are charging, I hope that means they coughed up the cash for any music rights. I understand that the studios often have to pay for those rights, so I do not mind it if they pass that cost along to me in the form of higher prices - IF that were the reason. After all, if they replaced music, I would be upset about it, and someone has to pay for it - so, if original music means a higher price, then so be it. I love Quantum Leap. This is a release day purchase for me!!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
QL will mint money on release. Music rights are a thorny issue, but I feel the money to be made would be worth it for the studio. Another release day purchaser here, for one of the best shows in TV history.

Take care,
Chuck

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
At 60 bucks, they better have every song from the original broadcasts intact and Universal better not release this with any sort of glitches(that includes forced trailers!!!).

Ryan Sloan

Auditioning
Well you also need to realize most of the shows people petition and work for to get released onto DVD weren't going to be originally, as far as I know. The only way I can see them even making a profit by doing so would be to slightly overprice the merchandise.

James T

Screenwriter
I loved this show. I also thought the series finale was one of the best finales I've ever seen on tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks