What's new

Quality Speakers for the money?????? (1 Viewer)

warman

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am currently setting up my media room and wanted to get some feedback from someone other than the salesman on the equipment that I'm looking at purchasing. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations as far as brands or retailers to look at in regards to my HT system. I've listed the equipment that I am looking to purchase below.

Media Room dimensions 22ft x 14ft

DENON AVR3808CI A/V RECEIVER

BOWERS & WILKINS 683BK 3-WAY FLOORSTAND SPEAKER

BOWERS & WILKINS HTM61BK 3-WAY CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER

BOWERS & WILKINS DS3BK 2-WAY DIPOLE SURROUND SPEAKER

VELODYNE SPL1000RBLK 10" SUBWOOFER

PANAMAX MAX5100EX POWER CENTER

Thanks
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The need for the panamax is questionable. The components look plenty fine, though what other options are you considering? Did you audition speakers and settle on the B&Ws, or did the salesman just suggest those to you. I think B&W makes fine speakers, however I have also in my listening preferred some other speakers according to my preferences, and also value. If you have carefully auditioned speakers and settled on these as your favorites, by all means it looks like a great system. If not, you need to audition widely.

mackie

Supporting Actor
The most important question is, "Do YOU like them?" If you do, go ahead and buy them. On the other hand, if these are the first speakers you've heard I'd go listen to a few more brands before I bought them.

I second the recommendation for the Hsu or SVS or Hsu.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My Panamax came in handy at my new place. It showed me that the voltage is really low (old house) and I had to do some checking on the circuits and circuit box. I had the power company come out and test the feed from the street too, since it is free, but that was fine, it ended up being wiring related.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
IMO the real question is can you audition speakers in your home enviorment. In other words can you take them back if you find they don't really sound as good at home as they did in the store. Speakers are the most important component of any system and the only real way to know if you will like them is to listen to them a while at home where the pressure is off and you can get to know your speakers. There are places that will let you return stuff if you don't like it. Or at least there used to be places like that when I was buying equipment (I finally settled on a setup I liked and didn't change it for several years). There's no such thing as a perfect speaker but some are much closer than others. But unless you can listen extensively with your own music that you're totally familar with then you really won't know what you're getting.

I learned the hard way that it's best to do this. I bought so many sets of speakers and ended up selling them, trading them, or just plain giving them away that I thought I would never find the speakers I wanted. But I did. They are far from perfect but they will do a lot of things very well. They aren't even made anymore though so there's no sense in me suggesting you try them.

mackie

Supporting Actor

Some of the big name B&M brands that are worth looking into are:
Paradigm
Monitor Audio
NHT
Definitive Technology
Klipsch
Boston
Polk
PSB

There are the ID brands such as ACI, Rocket, Ascend, Axiom that are worth looking into especially if they don't make you pay return shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks