What's new

Quadrophenia (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

I picked mine up today at Best Buy.
It's anamorphic and has DD 5.1 and DPL tracks on it.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i also picked one up and watched the first 10 mins or so i don't think it is anomorphic. when i put my tosh 56x81 into full mode to watch this one it is still looking stretched or i should say flat from top to bottom and stretched from right to left.
when i put it in standard it looks normal not stretched from any direction.

Max,
Have you tried the disc out, or are you going by what is listed on the package? As you can see by my review and previous posts, I made the mistake of saying it was anamorphic (going by what was on the package) when in fact it's not. After I double checked I updated my review accordingly.
If it IS anamorphic that means Rhino repressed the disc after the review copies went out, something that seems unlikely for a small distributor/studio.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Grrrr my Best Buy didn't have any out last night. So I ended up with the Heathers LE instead.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Anyone comment on picture/audio quality? After hearing that the disc is not anamorphic, I'm a little apprehensive.

FredCampbell

Agent
I went to BB yesterday to pick up a copy of QUADROPHENIA and got an excuse about how it was in a part of their shipment that got delayed. So I went elsewhere and found it for the same price advertised by BB. I intended to watch just a bit of it last night, but I ended up watching the entire film and looking at all the extras.
As for it being anamorphic, I have no idea. I'm not set up to know the difference right now.
The 5.1 soundtrack is good, but not breath-taking. I think it's as good as one might expect from a remastering of the source material. Rhino includes a section on the audio and video restoration as an extra, so you can A/B the 5.1 and 2.0 pretty easily. Overall, I'm satisfied with the sound.
The picture is pretty impressive, again considering the source material. The video restoration demo makes it all pretty plain. The colors are much richer than I remember my old CED (yes I said CED) copy of it.
I also liked the snippets of the director's commentary that I listened to. Looking forward to hearing the whole track. As for the trivia "pop up" subtitles, some are revealing, other just silly.
In general, the extras are pretty good. The "trip to Brighton" sequence is nice
I can't say my comments are absolutely objective, though. I have been longing for QUADROPHENIA to appear on dvd. I love the film, and it's been years since I'd seen it last. In those years, I've visited Brighton 5 times, everytime wishing I had a decent copy of QUADROPHENIA to watch when I returned to the states. In short, I am relieved to finally have a dvd copy of the film. I think that initial relief gave way to satisfaction by the end of the first viewing, so I recommend it to fans. NOW IF WE COULD JUST GET A DVD OF THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT!!!!!

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I was very impressed with the picture quality on this disc despite being non-anamorphic. It starts out very grainy and dirty but improves very quickly, especially in the outdoor daylight scenes. You will have more appreciation for it after watching the restoration sequences in the extras. The before picture is how I have always seen it in the past (even in the theater). By the way the sound defaults to pro-logic so I didn't even realise there was a 5.1 track until I finished watching it. Of course I had to watch it again in 5.1. This is by no means a perfect edition but I think it is the best effort I have seen out of Rhino and I hope it is a sign of things to come. Some people may disagree but I also love the pop-up video thing.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I want to go buy this immediately, but I am too exhausted after driving home from NYC today. Have to wait until later in the week.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Although nothing can match the HUGE outdoor screening at Battersea Park I saw one summer evening in 1998 with about 10,000 other Mod-wannabes, I can't wait for my copy to turn up!
Incidentally, I noticed this on Amazon.com:
quote: ...the only problem was two scenes are ommitted from the movie, there is one seen where Phil Daniels says to Leslie Ash "what do you mean am I gonna be one of the faces, I AM one of the faces" now that was a line I used to shout round the school yard, we all did, the other is Phil Davis where they ridicule him and call him Chalky the ponce.. NOt essential but still I was left wondering why.. Overall this will not spoil the enjoyment of this excellent film...[/quote]
Is he right? It looks like the whole thing is director-approved (following the recent theatrical re-release and restoration), so maybe he's just remembering a TV print with the extra scenes in?
I certainly got a shock when I bought my disc of The Warriors and it started off with the night-time opening credits.
The UK BBC2 print (uncut, and in widescreen, no less) had an opening prologue, with each of the Warriors being given roles by the chief, and his girlfriend concerned about the whole affair. It did look slightly roughly edited, and the film does work better without, but it's still a point to consider.
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on September 30, 2001 at 04:28 PM]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The "London to Brighton in 2 minutes" is pretty cool feature.
Only thing better is when I flew to London to see the premier live in Hyde Park.
I had to sell my Lambretta when I moved to England, made me recall how cool it was. The ONLY way to get around San Francisco(HAH we don't need no stinking parking space)
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Randy T

Auditioning
This movie brings back alot of memories for me. It's been 20 years since I last saw this and I still love it. The video and audio, which doesn't stand up to today's big budget features, was better than I was expecting. Good job Rhino!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks