What's new

QT Talks "Kill Bill" dvd (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I wonder if the release with Volume 1 and 2 together will be re-edited back into the 1 movie this should have been released as to begin with ?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
so after much negotiating they agreed to release it in 2 parts so that he could show the full story as he originally intended.
i find it hard to believe QT has less power than say Spike Lee , who did the 3 hr Malcolm X. that's probably a bad comparison, but my point is that if QT was really head strong, and didn't listen to all the $$$ whispers that the Weinsteins put into his ear, we'd probably be seeing the 3 hr version.
splitting it into 2 releases was probably more for DVD revenue than theater revenue.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
I saw a quote from QT on KB about the film being inherently episodic in nature, and it's clearly visibl efrom the trailer that each section of the film will have a different visual style and an eclectic soundtrack. so while not entirely an excuse, I believe the episodic nature will alleviate some of the effects of the 2 volume split.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
My counter to all the 'cashing in' people, is well QT & Miramax must be pretty damn confident that KBV1 will do ok, because if it bombs, they certainly won't be much 'cashing in' done on Vol 2.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately I don't think anyone has final cut but the Weinsteins when it comes to Miramax. If they can make Scorcese cut a movie to be shorter then they will do it to anyone. They've had numerous movies over the years that they've demanded heavy cuts to strictly in the interests of keeping the running time at two hours (All the Pretty Horses comes to mind).

If LOTR had remained at Mirmamax there's no chance they would have accepted their running times.

TysonK

Agent
After seeing Kill Bill, I definitely feel that it was right to split the movie into 2 parts. It would be way too much to take in as one sitting. I really liked the film a lot. Can't wait for the dvds. If it's like the LOTR dvds and the super duper double feature is the extended version then I'll buy all of them. However, if it's just theatrical versions for all three dvd sets, then I'll probably wait for the big ass edition. By the way, Uma Thurman is amazing in this movie.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
That's how he earned the nickname Harvey Scissorhands.
But the fact that Miramax is called "The House That Quentin Built" probably overrules the "Scissorhands" aspect. If Tarantino would have wanted to release a 3-hour "Kill Bill", Harvey Weinstein would have bent over backwards to accomodate him. He *suggested* that it be split up into two parts and QT ultimately decided it was a good idea.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I just hope that the single disc releases have only a few fluffy extras. I don't really want to double dip for this.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
What is the running time of part 1??? IMDB reports 110 minutes, while a lot of people in here says 90 minutes... Guess I'll wait until both parts are released together. I'm not even sure I want to pay 2x ticket price to see a 3-hour movie, seems a little steep! :)

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed this movie. It was fun and creative. I'll double dip if the different DVD release dates are widely spread apart. But if it's like with the "Lord of the Rings" theatrical and Extended Editions (3 months difference), I'll just wait for the superduper edition. I can't wait to own this movie.

Ron Kaye

Agent
Exciting flick ...

Observations:

Lucy Liu = Totally Not Believable In Her Role (referring specifically with her showdown with Uma)!!!

Her sourpuss bodyguard (GOGO) was the REAL DEAL though! She should have had Lucy's part!

Uma = Really Incredible. Towered Over Lucy. Too thin, though. Eat darlin', eat!

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I thought this film was brilliant. I do think Lucy Liu was the weakest part though. I just think of the god-awful Charlie's Angels films whenever I see her. It would be be awesome to see the whole thing edited together as one movie. Maybe some sort of seamless branching trick. If Tarantino does that on the deluxe set, then I'll wait and get that.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I don't think anyone has noted this but this is Tarantino's first film since the true birth of Special Edition DVDs. His last 3 films were bare-bones catalog titles until their SE rereleases last year. The SEs were loaded even being catalog titles.

My point is I can't wait for the Kill Bill SE/SEs because it seems like Tarantino would plan special edition content ahead of schedule now. He might even bless the film geek people with an...AUDIO COMMENTARY as his reasons for not recording them for Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction were because he was too tired of talking about them. This DVD is gonna be loaded baby! I can smell it.

I am a huge fan of QT movies. True Romance & Pulp Fiction are at the top of my all time favorites with Pulp being the only VHS movie I ever bought. (I have at least 150 dvd's)

I will not go see Kill Bill or buy a dvd of part 1 or 2. When they come out together I will pick up a used copy so as not to support this type of marketing. If it wasn't QT's fault he has my sympathy but not my cash.

Regards

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator
What is the running time of part 1??? IMDB reports 110 minutes, while a lot of people in here says 90 minutes... Guess I'll wait until both parts are released together. I'm not even sure I want to pay 2x ticket price to see a 3-hour movie, seems a little steep!
I went into the theatre only expecting a 90min movie, but to my suprise it was closer to 2hrs, so 110min sounds right. I'm assuming part 2 will be about the same or even longer. Though sometimes I wish I hadn't seen vol 1, cause now I HAVE to see vol 2 right away!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I watched the movie twice this weekend. I thought it was great. I am in for the DVDs. Also I think the movie ended well on its own. As for Lucy Lu being the weakest in the movie I have to agree. But it was done that way on purpose.

Uma's character even said she would be the easiest to kill and that is why she was first to die. Remember that Vivica Fox died 2nd!

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed Lucy Liu in the film, but I have never seen her in anything else except Shanghai Noon, True Crime, and the first Charlie's Angels. Until this movie, I didn't have very much of an opinion of her. I was impressed with her eyes in Kill Bill, and her movement in the usually restrictive kimono is respectable. She performed her genre well ( JPN gangster ), as did Vivica Fox ( blaxploitation ).

I was unsure about the split because I initially thought that it was motivated by money. I went back and read AICN week-long set report, the interviews at IGN, even the first half of the script. In hindsight, I think that it was inevitable that this film would be split into two. The House of Blue Leaves sequence took longer to film than Reservoir Dogs, and was two weeks shy of Pulp Fiction's shooting schedule.

The shooting script runs 200-some odd pages, not counting QT's changes on the day. Without cutting any other major scenes than Yuki's Revenge, this movie would've clocked in at 3+ hours. QT's last movie, Jackie Brown, runs two and a half hours. While it was well received by critics, most people said that it ran too long and needed to lose 15-20 minutes. Do you think that today's critics, along with the ADD generation, would have appreciated a 3+ hour Kill Bill?

QT and Miramax cut this story in half for a good reason. QT shot this knowing that he could cut it into two movies or one super-huge DVD like LOTR. In interviews, Darryl Hannah and Uma Thurman both talked to QT about splitting Kill Bill early in the shooting schedule. The script was written in an episode format so this type of split doesn't ruin a traditional three act structure. In fact, I think that Kill Bill Vol.1 isn't too much different from the first leg of any quest like LOTR. By the end of the first movie, you've seen the hero overcome the first huge challenge after beginning with nothing. This movie's abrupt ending is nothing worse than the end of Back to the Future part 2.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This may sound like ravings of a mad QT-fan boy but I assure you I am not. Yes I have the SEs of all Tarantino films but that's because they're GOOD. Anyway, I saw Kill Bill last night and the only word I can come up that does it justice is "PERFECT". Granted it's not a lock for a Best Picture Oscar, but as far as pure moviemaking and entertaiment goes, I have trouble recalling any other film in recent memory that was as engossing and as COOL. Maybe T2. I keep reading the negative reviews and posts here and elsewhere and I am truly flabbergasted. I can't comprehend anyone NOT enjoying this film. I want to stress that in no way am I a fan of 70s kung-fu films and I had to read online to find out just who Sonny Chiba is in the film. That said, I thought Kill Bill f@#ing kicked ass. The anime and black-and-white portions of the film seem to be the most problematic areas that cause people to dislike the overall film, but I think these segments integrate into the movie flawlessly. The switch to B&W did not bother me in the least (if anything, I thought it was a cool stylistic choice and reminded me of Natural Born Killers, and worked as intended, when we're shown the aftermath in full color), and the anime section was superbly done and also fit nicely within the film. It felt appropriate even. (Plus how the hell would they film in live action a grown man with an 11-year old girl in a very erotic position.)

That's my opinion. Feel free to be wrong ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks