What's new

Q for fellow yamma rxv-1200/1300 owners (1 Viewer)

David_Lew

Stunt Coordinator
I have and love the 1200. What's the average volume level you set it at? For cable tv I have it set at 40-45. On DD dvd movies, 40-45, dts movies, 45-50.

Nick V

Second Unit
Those numbers don't really mean anything. The volume level shown on the display is just a number, the actual volume of the speakers at a certain specified volume number is determined by the speakers' sensitivity. My movie watching is usually done beteen -5dB and -10dB below reference, which on my RXV-1200 is around -22.5dB to -27.5dB (on the display).

If you haven't yet (and I assume you haven't) you should pick up an SPL meter and a calibration disk (Avia, Video Essentials, S&V disc) and calibrate your system. It is a relatively large upgrade in sound over having it calibrated by ear, and is relatively cheap. It is recommended to do this, because your speakers most likely have ranging efficiencies, and the sound is the best when all of the speakers have exactly the same volume level at your seating position.

BTW, my tv watching is between -35dB and -45dB most of the time.

Nick V

Second Unit
That has me kinda puzzled. Sorry for assuming that you hadn't.:)

I suppose you were just curious what everybody else's levels were set at? Did you listen to any other receivers before you made your purchase? I ask because I'm actually not all that pleased with it's sound compared to some other receivers that I've owned, but one thing I can't complain about it it's reliability!! What speakers are you using?

BTW, that's a pretty cool sub that you built. Anyways, have a good one,

Nick

David_Lew

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry it was one of those spur of the moment questions :)
Yea I'm curious to what others have it set. I had a yamaha rxv-496 prior to the 1200 and wasn't used to seeing the volume levels as 0-100. I went to my local stores like Goodguys etc and wanted 6.1 and am pretty happy with the 1200. I just added a HK PA-5800 to handle the L/R/C as I prepare to upgrade my polks to LSi series someday. I have Polk Audio RM7500 center, mains, rear center, and f/x300is on the sides.

The sub was fun to make, lots of fun learning from this board :)

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
I have a DSP-AZ1 and am using 260wpc Yamaha MZ-1 amp for mains. If I were to set the volume level at anything over 26 my mains speakers would blow. My safe level is 30 max and at that point my windows and doors are rattling.

Arron H

Second Unit
My calibrated reference level is -21.5. I usually listen to movies at about -30.0 and TV around -45.0. For movies, it really does depend on how it was mixed. Some DVDs seem much louder than others, eg, LOTR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks