What's new

Purchased "Caddyshack" after the warning & WB logo nothing happens - anyone have this problem (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Purchased "Caddyshack" after the warning & WB logo nothing happens - the screen goes black and I get a little cartoon of a disc error. I tried the Blu-ray on two different players and got the same thing. Anyone have this problem with this or any other disc?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I had a similar problem with The Lovely Bones. It did nothing after the Paramount logo came up. I needed to get a firmware update. It sounds odd that there's anything in a movie like Caddyshack that would require new firmware though, so maybe it's just a defective disc. Did you buy it someplace where you can exchange it easily to just try another disc?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Buy a hat like that get a free bowl of soup - Oh but it looks good on you!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Modern Blu-ray players are more like small computers than traditional consumer electronics. Just like Windows or iTunes updates, so does the programing of the players.

And QC testing is always done on the latest firmware versions.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Criterion's The Red Shoes isn't loading for me, and it's the first disc I've had a problem with on

my Sony(-Costco) (BD-X1?). I haven't had the player near an internet connection since buying it two years ago, so I hope this is fixable.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (original) presents problems sometimes -- after playing the feature or one of the extras, it will sometimes freeze up on returning to the menus.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Criterion's The Red Shoes isn't loading for me, and it's the first disc I've had a problem with on

my Sony(-Costco) (BD-X1?). I haven't had the player near an internet connection since buying it two years ago, so I hope this is fixable.

Most Sony players have had several updates the last couple years. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=BDPS1&SelectOS=7

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If that Sony Costco model is the same unit as my Sony BDP-S350, then The Red Shoes should play fine if you have updated firmware. It played without issues on my player, as did Caddyshack.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
GM -

Perhaps Fry's could have refunded you, just to keep the peace, but you may be coming down too hard on them.

A firmware update will resolve your issue. It is very easy and you will be happy once you have done it. As Blu-ray features advance, firmware updates allow your player to stay current.

It's not Fry's fault.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

What's the big deal refunding at disc that I purchased for $15.

Because customers got in the habit of buying a movie, watching it, and then returning it. In order to avoid becoming a free rentals store, virtually every electronics retailer has instituted an exchange-for-same-title-only policy. Fry's is following mainstream retailer practices here.

As the choir has said: do yourself a favor, hook your Blu-Ray player up to your router or modem and upgrade your firmware. Otherwise you're going to find that more and more titles new titles give you similar problems.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

As the choir has said: do yourself a favor, hook your Blu-Ray player up to your router or modem and upgrade your firmware. Otherwise you're going to find that more and more titles new titles give you similar problems.

And even if someone doesn't want (or doesn't think they have the technical know-how) to connect their player to the internet, they can still call the manufacturer and get a firmware disc mailed to them.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh my GOD what a difference. The Red Shoes now loads and plays beautifully, as do the couple of other discs I'd had a problem with. And the Sony is performing like never before, even in a few areas of functionality that I won't embarrass myself by naming. (Why was I accepting questionable or sub-par behavior as normal??)

The only reason my player isn't connected to the internet is location, so I downloaded and burned the update to CD and everything went without a hitch. I'll check for future updates regularly from now on. So glad I spoke up here. Thanks, one and all, for the help.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
This whole Firmware business is unbelievable. DVD players did not have "Firmware". Software should be playable on all players, and if not There should be a note printed in the product stating so. Unlike a PC or Mac a blu-ray player is not a computer.

Several discs come with an insert with the very message that the disc may not play without your player having the most current firmware.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Several discs come with an insert with the very message that the disc may not play without your player having the most current firmware.

Warner's, Sony, Fox, Disney, and Universal all have fliers included in their Blu-ray packaging. They have been including these fliers for a least the past four years. The only problem that I have had with a disc loading due to firmware issues has been Fox. it is a pain but once the player is updated, then all is fine.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Greg,

Quick question. Do you have BD-Live enabled through your blu-ray player's settings/menu? If you do, disable it and try the disc again. I had this exact problem with a few blu rays a while ago and once I disabled discs' abilities to try to access BDLive, the problem went away.

regards,

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks