What's new

PT-109 Warner Achive Collection (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
(edit- I tried to use the search function to find a thread on this, but the new search function didn't find any. And I thought we had discussed this title before)I finally picked up a copy of the 1963 film PT-109 from the Warner Archive Collection. It's my first disc from their DVD-R offerings and is a favorite film of mine. I've always admired the story of JFK.I just had time for a quick look at the disc and I was very impressed with the image quality. I have the laserdisc of this film and it's my only reference. It's a title I always hoped Warner would prepare for blu-ray or hi def. Looking at a few scenes I was impressed with color and image quality. It looked like it had film grain and the image was not manipulated at all. Quite nice. And the added trailer is great, I've never seen that before.The sound was mono from the center channel felt less impressive given how used to multichannel audio we are. But it sounded alright. I look forward to sitting down and seeing the entire film. Even the disc had been silkscreened with the Warner logo and titles with a blue background. Plus the cover art on the case was very well done. Didn't feel like a DVD-R and more like a proper disc release. I got this one from Amazon. I'm sure Cliff Robertson and the script was taylored to only portray a very positive image of the President and I always liked that. It seems to be a very straightforward dramatization of the events that led to the PT-109 sinking and crew rescue. The music certainly at times feels very light and cherry. I'm sure this title is not considered that valued for consideration to be made into a hi def offering. I hope it is, it belongs alongside The Great Escape. If its not, the DVD-R looks good so far, a nice level of image quality.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Nelson Au said:
(edit- I tried to use the search function to find a thread on this, but the new search function didn't find any. And I thought we had discussed this title before)I finally picked up a copy of the 1963 film PT-109 from the Warner Archive Collection. It's my first disc from their DVD-R offerings and is a favorite film of mine. I've always admired the story of JFK.I just had time for a quick look at the disc and I was very impressed with the image quality. I have the laserdisc of this film and it's my only reference. It's a title I always hoped Warner would prepare for blu-ray or hi def.Looking at a few scenes I was impressed with color and image quality. It looked like it had film grain and the image was not manipulated at all. Quite nice. And the added trailer is great, I've never seen that before.The sound was mono from the center channel felt less impressive given how used to multichannel audio we are. But it sounded alright. I look forward to sitting down and seeing the entire film. Even the disc had been silkscreened with the Warner logo and titles with a blue background. Plus the cover art on the case was very well done. Didn't feel like a DVD-R and more like a proper disc release.I got this one from Amazon.I'm sure Cliff Robertson and the script was taylored to only portray a very positive image of the President and I always liked that. It seems to be a very straightforward dramatization of the events that led to the PT-109 sinking and crew rescue. The music certainly at times feels very light and cherry.I'm sure this title is not considered that valued for consideration to be made into a hi def offering. I hope it is, it belongs alongside The Great Escape. If its not, the DVD-R looks good so far, a nice level of image quality.
I agree that it is a very fine looking transfer for a regular DVD.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I've had it for some time but I haven't watched it yet. This thread has inspired me to move it to the top of my queue.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't plan to, but I watched the whole thing today! I couldn't stop.Looks great!It's nice it has chapter breaks. But it doesn't have any audio options or subtitles. The trailer is a very nice bonus. It's a very satisfying package considering the alternative. Fun to see Robert Blake and Norman Fell in the film. As well as James Gregory. I'll have to see if there are more titles I may want at the Warner Archive. Though I still hope for a blu ray of PT-109.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d post here again about PT 109. I watched this DVD last night on my new Sony OLED and at first I was thinking it doesn’t look that great. But after a few minutes, i was getting used to the look. It has more of a grainy look then I recalled from first viewing on my plasma. The larger OLED size screen made this more apparent. When Kennedy first arrives at the Tulagi motor boat base, there’s a great crane shot of the beach and the ocean and the colors look great. It has that great old film look of the era.

I could not help to wonder what some work would do to bring this title to the level of The Great Escape or Bridge on the River Kwai. But I’m guessing this title isn’t as sought after.

I happen to see this title was asked about in a Warner Archive thread. Hope it’s on their list of titles to be released in high definition soon. Its one of my childhood favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks