What's new

PSYCHO to Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They have various warehouses apparently. The parcels delivered on the European continent often stem from a location in Luxembourg (if I remember well). In Britain, it's often their "Preferred Retailer" or something like that.

Cees

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus

Following is from my earlier post regarding shipping:

My disc was purchased from Amazon UK. I regularly order from them and shipping has been by Royal Post which goes to USPS for delivery. Typical transit time to my Oregon location has been excellent at 4-5 days. This parcel, however, was sent by Amazon UK by DHL World Mail. This took 10 days. For the first time in my orders from Amazon UK, tracking was provided. It appears to have gone by air from UK to Mercury Air Freight in Avenel, NJ. From there it appears to have gone by air to LA where it went to customs. Time in LA was three days and next destination was Seattle. It was delivered to my address in Redmond, OR three days later by USPS. It is not clear where it was transferred to USPS. This ship method (if this experience is typical) means that the transit time has at least doubled. The DHL website claims 8 days to 2 weeks from UK to USA using their World Mail product.. A source who is expert on shipping tells me that this DHL shipping method has waiting time at hubs until a bin for bulk shipping to next location can be filled. This would account for the 3 day rests in LA and Seattle. I add these comments in response to an earlier post on shipping. I complained to Amazon UK about the change in shipping method for standard shipping.

Following is the tracking:

Date Time Location Event Details 18 Aug 2010 11:51:00 AM REDMOND OR Delivered 18 Aug 2010 05:34:00 AM REDMOND OR Arrival Scan 16 Aug 2010 04:21:00 AM AUBURN WA Departure Scan 16 Aug 2010 03:21:00 AM AUBURN WA Arrival Scan 14 Aug 2010 01:47:00 AM CARSON CA Arrival Scan 11 Aug 2010 06:15:00 PM Los Angeles CA Customs Clearance delay 9 Aug 2010 04:36:27 PM Eggham Departure Scan 9 Aug 2010 03:48:07 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 9 Aug 2010 10:12:34 AM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit
tan-bottom-left-round-corner._V192561934_.gif

Due to the time difference between UK and USA the first entries are the Eggham, UK postings. They are August 8th by US time. DHL picked up the parcel in UK and it went by air to Mercury Airfreight in NY. From there it went by air to LA airport area. From there to Seattle. The waits in LA and Seattle are said to be a wait for a container to fill before sending to next transit point. If one lives in a large metro area or on East Coast, the DHL World Mail product is likely a lot faster. Final delivery was by USPS. I do not know at what point that it was turned over to USPS but think it was at final destination city.

Bottom line........When they used government mail all the way.......delivery to my location was always 4-5 days. The DHL product shipping experience has been up to 21 days depending on the wait times.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Roger,

Thanks for sharing this. Here is my current up to date tracking info:

Date Time Location Event Details 11 Aug 2010 06:15:00 PM Los Angeles CA Customs Clearance delay 9 Aug 2010 04:36:27 PM Eggham Departure Scan 9 Aug 2010 03:50:51 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 9 Aug 2010 10:12:34 AM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit  

Note that my package has been in custom clearance delay for 12 DAYS. I've contacted AmazonUK, and they told me they would contact DHL to find out where my package is. I'm located in Los Angeles, so I'm not too happy that my package has been sitting around in a warehouse for nearly two-weeks with no delivery in sight.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
About two years ago I ran into this same situation when DHL World Mail was used by another sender. I discussed that situation with a DHL representative directly and was told that DHL World Mail product was intended for a low cost solution for bulk mailings like catalogs. That parcel finally arrived after about four weeks. Until my experience with the PSYCHO shipment, Amazon UK was using Royal Mail......UKs government service like USPS. That was very dependable and never over 4-5 days. We USA customers need to complain loudly about the DHL bad experiences. About two years ago DHL shut down most of their US operations and, I am told, only maintained a skeleton service using sun contractors. DHL parcels are delivered by USPS in my area. They sold all of their trucks and shut down their facility. DHL does nt even put their name on the World Mail product.

Originally Posted by ReggieW

Roger,

Thanks for sharing this. Here is my current up to date tracking info:

Date Time Location Event Details 11 Aug 2010 06:15:00 PM Los Angeles CA Customs Clearance delay 9 Aug 2010 04:36:27 PM Eggham Departure Scan 9 Aug 2010 03:50:51 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 9 Aug 2010 10:12:34 AM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit  

Note that my package has been in custom clearance delay for 12 DAYS. I've contacted AmazonUK, and they told me they would contact DHL to find out where my package is. I'm located in Los Angeles, so I'm not too happy that my package has been sitting around in a warehouse for nearly two-weeks with no delivery in sight.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear that some of you have had problems with slow delivery. I feel that equal time should be given to happy experiences so as not to discourage others from trying this UK option. Here are my results for 'Psycho'. Quite pleased with product and delivery.

Date Time Location Event Details 21 Aug 2010 02:28:00 PM HOPKINS MN Delivered 21 Aug 2010 06:28:00 AM MINNETONKA MN Arrival Scan 20 Aug 2010 03:31:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Departure Scan 20 Aug 2010 01:39:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Arrival Scan 18 Aug 2010 08:01:00 PM HEBRON KY Arrival Scan 17 Aug 2010 04:13:05 PM Eggham Departure Scan 17 Aug 2010 03:41:38 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 16 Aug 2010 04:00:28 PM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe the Amazon UK shipping delays w/ DHL World Mail is specific to west coast delivery. I had one shipment delivered here in the NYC area w/ DHL some time ago -- maybe 1/2 year ago -- and I don't recall it being all that slow, if at all.

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mine arrived today and under the same circumstances as Roger.

Anyhow, watched the movie and it looks great. That ending shot of Norman/Mother really stands out in high definition. Also, I noticed for the first time that the policeman that opens the door for the other policeman to give Norman/Mother the blanket is Ted Knight from Caddyshack and MTMS fame.

Crawdaddy

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Mine arrived today as well from amazon.uk. Very cool Blu-ray steelbook. Way cool. Looking forward to seeing it this later this week.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

Originally Posted by David Wilkins

Sorry to hear that some of you have had problems with slow delivery. I feel that equal time should be given to happy experiences so as not to discourage others from trying this UK option. Here are my results for 'Psycho'. Quite pleased with product and delivery.

Date Time Location Event Details 21 Aug 2010 02:28:00 PM HOPKINS MN Delivered 21 Aug 2010 06:28:00 AM MINNETONKA MN Arrival Scan 20 Aug 2010 03:31:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Departure Scan 20 Aug 2010 01:39:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Arrival Scan 18 Aug 2010 08:01:00 PM HEBRON KY Arrival Scan 17 Aug 2010 04:13:05 PM Eggham Departure Scan 17 Aug 2010 03:41:38 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 16 Aug 2010 04:00:28 PM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

It was the first time I ordered an item and had it tracked thru UK to the US.

Track your package  
tan-top-right-round-corner._V192561933_.gif
Date Time Location Event Details 23 Aug 2010 06:31:00 AM ROBBINSDALE MN Arrival Scan 21 Aug 2010 04:17:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Departure Scan 21 Aug 2010 02:28:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Arrival Scan 20 Aug 2010 12:08:00 AM HEBRON KY Arrival Scan 18 Aug 2010 04:24:19 PM Eggham Departure Scan 18 Aug 2010 03:14:53 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 18 Aug 2010 08:08:40 AM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit  

Jealous you got your Saturday! I was wanting mine for last weekend, but I guess I have it for this weekend. I took a glance at it and kind of listened to the two different audio tracks. Nice to know there are other IMPORTERS in my area.

For those who do track their orders... the tracking information is so delayed even today (I got my order Monday 23rd) It still stats in transit and the last scan they have is at my local PO area. For those trying to gauge their delivery time. More than likely you will have it a day before the tracking shows delievered.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
  Track your package  
Date Time Location Event Details 21 Aug 2010 06:27:00 AM CARSON CA Departure Scan 21 Aug 2010 01:59:00 AM CARSON CA Arrival Scan 16 Aug 2010 06:15:00 PM Los Angeles CA Customs Clearance delay 13 Aug 2010 03:43:28 PM Eggham Departure Scan 13 Aug 2010 03:13:44 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 13 Aug 2010 08:01:10 AM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit  

I've had the same problem with this order from AMAZON.UK It is August 24th and nothing. 11 days. They used to be less than a week. Just a warning to all you. I'll let you know when I get it. I'm still not sure why they hold it in Custom Clearance for so long. It must be an LA thing.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

It was the first time I ordered an item and had it tracked thru UK to the US.

Track your package  
Date Time Location Event Details 23 Aug 2010 06:31:00 AM ROBBINSDALE MN Arrival Scan 21 Aug 2010 04:17:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Departure Scan 21 Aug 2010 02:28:00 AM DES PLAINES IL Arrival Scan 20 Aug 2010 12:08:00 AM HEBRON KY Arrival Scan 18 Aug 2010 04:24:19 PM Eggham Departure Scan 18 Aug 2010 03:14:53 PM Eggham Shipment received by carrier 18 Aug 2010 08:08:40 AM Avenel NJ Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit  

Jealous you got your Saturday! I was wanting mine for last weekend, but I guess I have it for this weekend. I took a glance at it and kind of listened to the two different audio tracks. Nice to know there are other IMPORTERS in my area.

For those who do track their orders... the tracking information is so delayed even today (I got my order Monday 23rd) It still stats in transit and the last scan they have is at my local PO area. For those trying to gauge their delivery time. More than likely you will have it a day before the tracking shows delievered.

Greetings, neighbor.

Yes, I got lucky with the arrival day. What's the deal with Hebron, KY, population 812?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Based upon my discussion with DHL when I first encountered delays with DHL World Mail, my sense is that the delay is really a DHL contractor delay to wait for a container or bin of some size for the next destination to fill. This, however, does not explain the delay for the gentleman in LA area unless his parcel was sorted to an incorrect bin. My past experience with DHL included a lot of sort and routing errors even with their premium services.

Until PSYCHO, the Amazon UK shipments to my location were always 4-5 days by Royal Mail. No tracking....but dependable and prompt service. Those of us with delays should complain to Amazon UK.

The PSYCHO disc is really nice. Detail is super......look at the eyes for just one example.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Wilkins

That was just me being a smart-ass. :)

That was just me being informative. :)

I'm more captivated by "Eggham", which Google tells me should only have one "g". Now I'm picturing a town is Surrey populated by people who look like this:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Finally got mine. Took almost two weeks, but it is worth it. I got it from Amazon.UK but it is REGION FREE so any blu-ray player can play it -- why wait for two more months. Universal has finally gotten a classic film right on blu-ray. The picture is so sharp and detailed you can actually see the peach fuzz on Janet Leigh's arms and I never noticed she has a small scar over her lip. The gray-scale is beautiful. The film grain is just right. It looks like a brand-new film that I've never seen before. This is a feast for the eyes and ears. I'm able to see details I've never seen before like the Toluca Lake neighborhood where I live as it was in 1959 when Marion drives around looking for a new car which was filmed a few blocks from Universal Studios. The sound is a revelation. They've kept the original mono in DTS which I love. The most fascinating thing is the new 5.1 DTS. There is only one new extra which is PSYCHO SOUND where they explain the brand-new technology that created the new 5.1 sound. They've got new software that does not add any new sound effects but is capable of digitally separating all the original mono sound effects and placing them in whichever speaker they choose. They have been able to separate each raindrop or car noise and place them wherever they want in your theatre. So no new sound effects have been added, just isolated. This is the most amazing thing I've ever heard on a soundtrack before. It sounds so pure. The rain at the beginning where Marion first arrives at the Bates Motel is so pure you can hear every drop behind you. And the scene where Norman sinks Marion's car in the swamp, I heard bubbling noises that I've never noticed before that enhance the suspense of the car stopping sinking briefly and then finally going down. This adds so much to the suspense that I'm sure Hitchcock would have loved it. They've been able to separate every stringed instrument of course and the scene where Marion is asleep on the side of the highway, you can actually hear bug noises isolated in the front left speaker. I got the steelbook version and it is so nice. You even get a Criterion-style book inside. This release is perfect in every way. You still get the same extras from before. I never get tired of THE MAKING OF PSYCHO. Hearing Janet Leigh's detailed and very eloquent account of her experience make me miss the kind of classy star that is rare nowadays. She is so well-spoken and fascinating to listen to. Class act all the way! I only hope Universal continues to release classics this way with perfect sound and picture. Please bring us SOMEWHERE IN TIME, JAWS, and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD now in the exact same way and we'll forget about SPARTACUS. This film still packs a huge punch and is so perfect. It is honestly like seeing a brand-new film for the first time. I got a new excited thrill seeing it. I can't even put into words the detail in sight and sound that's here.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Darrell,

I agree. Your review echos my experience as well. Glad to see the disc finally showed up (btw, I live in Glendale). I also received Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves from Eureka, and I must say, the transfer will give the best technicolor titles on Blu a run for their money. Excellent in every way.

I'm enjoying every minute of Psycho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks