What's new

Psycho #2 and #3 dvds (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the pick-me-up, Watson! :D

Universal really ought to have got director Richard Franklin (a really nice guy, btw) to record an audio commentary for Psycho II. Franklin, in his own right is a superb Hitchcock scholar and was a friend of Hitch's. His commentary on Anchor Bay's Road Games DVD is very informative and he talks a little about Hitch's influence and his work on Psycho II and I was really hoping that one day I'd hear his full thoughts on the film. In the meantime, here's an interview with Franklin at thepsychomovies.com.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Are Psycho 2 & 3 any good? I've never seen them & I don't want to buy them if they're no good.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
3 is better than 2, but they're not worthy of discussion around the original film. Rent 'em.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, such a discussion belongs in another thread. This thread is about Hitchcock titles not Psycho sequels, therefore I'm placing these posts in a seperate thread.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dale, in my opinion, Psycho II is quite good. Obviously, it's nowhere near the quality of the original but it's still an interesting movie nonetheless. Definitely worth checking out.

However, Psycho II looks like the original when compared to Psycho III. Psycho III is just an '80's slasher movie with Norman Bates in it. I understand that they needed to sell tickets so they just upped the bodycount and tossed the suspense.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Thanks for the info Travis & Peter. Are they both B&W or did they switch to colour for the sequels?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They're both coming out on September 13th. The only extra appears to be a trailer.

According to DVD Answers:
"These include 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen releases for Psycho II and III. Psycho II will include English Dolby Digital 4.0 Surround and Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo tracks, whereas Psycho III will include English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono and Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono treatment."

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6s%3D1%26n%3D3

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I liked Psycho II for what it was, a fairly competent thriller....was it as good as the original? Well of course not, but it isn't bad by any means IMO. Plus it contains one of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores.....and a young pretty Meg Tilly.:)

Shame that the DVD doesn't as least have a commentary by Franklin, I would have liked to have heard his thoughts on the production.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Extras would have been really nice, but I'm overjoyed that both of these films are getting brand new 1.85:1 16x9 transfers. The Goodtimes discs suck so bad. Finally, after so many years of waiting, Psycho (1960), Psycho II, and Psycho III are getting respectful DVD releases. All that's needed now is a DVD release of Psycho IV: The Beginning. Maybe next year?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I agree with the above posts. Psycho II is actually quite a good film in its own right. Not really comparable to the original, but still a very clever and well done thriller. You can tell Franklin is trying to treat the original with respect. When I first saw Psycho II, I was really impressed.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Psycho II is pretty good. III was definitely a slasher film, not a suspense film IMHO. Looking forward to snagging a decent copy of II finally. :)

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Great. I've wanted these badly for years - but not as bad as the made-for-Showtime movie Psycho: The Beginning (a/k/a Psycho 4). I really hope Universal decides to releases that film too.

While they're at it, they might as well release that Made-For-NBC movie/failed pilot The Bates Motel.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Another vote for Psycho 4. I thought it was a pretty good movie and Henry Thomas played a good young Norman. Kind of annoyed that it's not being released with these re-releases of 2 and 3.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I think Psycho II is a cracking film and Psycho III is enjoyable, no doubt about that.

I wonder if Psycho 4 will ever see the light of day on DVD in Region 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks