What's new

Psych Season 3- 7/18/08 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And the blatant product placement continues. Last week an extended promotion of Dunkin Donuts, this week a minute long conversation about the shakes at Red Robin. This better not become a weekly thing.

I did love the framing device with Lassetter and O'Hara unsuccessfully trying to interrogate Shawn, Gus and Henry. I wish the grand scheme behind it had lived up. Weber in anything is pretty good, however.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
But that was the Red Robin Uncle Jack took them to when they were kids, which judging from the trade dress and building design was 2-3 years ago, max.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
As long as the writers can keep it humorous, I'll take product placement over a bug or snipe any day. (especially if the advertiser specifies that they can't share or cover the placement with other on-screen interruptions)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Monk had a character doing a deodorant commercial, and now I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't for an actual brand I'm just not familiar with.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Later Monk talked about the large number of people who might see the commercial and was immediately corrected by Natalie and Disher, who said that thanks to TiVo hardly anybody watches commercials anymore, they just zap right through them. It is a genuine problem for the industry.

Regards,

Joe

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I personally thought the Red Robin one worked better than the Dunkin Donuts one, since it was more subtle.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Except a bug or snipe only lasts as long as the network run. The DVD syndicated run will be bug and snipe free. These advertisements will last with the show into perpetuity.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Much better this week. No obvious product placement! A real mystery that takes place in Santa Barbara proper! Great use of the fact that Shawn's dad picks up on everything that Shawn does!

On another note, I'm not sure if the extended and retooled theme song was an homage to 70's TV theme songs or something new they're trying for the season, but I loved it. It really reminded me of what I used to love about iconic themes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
And what a wonderful episode it was! I don't know who has and has not seen it, so I won't post any spoilers. But there was a lot to love about it. Those last two minutes were poignant. I've been wanting to see something like this for a few years now.

I loved Jules' role tonight. She played it well. It reminded me of watching Roller Derby some thirty-five years ago....

More later.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And it was another good one. It stuck to the season one formula and it worked it good. My favorite moment in the whole episode was Shawn and Jules rollerskating to the music. She won't let him hold her hand, but the backs of their hands touch as they roll around the rink. Those two are great at generating real tenderness and intimacy from barely anything. In a TV world that's all about sexual chemistry, their will-they-won't-they plot stands apart; it's sweet and tentative, and one of the few things Shawn seems earnest about.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Not getting your irony, Adam, it WAS a wonderful episode. :confused:

I've had a thing for Maggie Lawson since the show started but gawd damn she was yummy this week! :eek:

I like it when Shawn stops being the Johnny-on-the-spot-with-the-smart-ass and becomes honest and vulnerable like he was there at the end.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I thought it looked like they were holding hands as the camera pulled back. Probably just a trick of the eye and distance. It was a very good episode, with ample usage of Lawson's bod as an added bonus.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it's a generational thing. When I was in grade school and two people said the same thing at the same time, (see my post time compared to Scott's) one of the people would yell out "Psych!" Normally I wouldn't be so immature here, but considering the show's title, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I thought that, too. Already deleted the ep from my DVR, though, so can't go back and check it.

BTW, was I the only one who got a chuckle out of the "Tommy" product placement thing with Gus?

Regards,

Joe

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jinx, yes, that's what I think he meant.

I'm familliar with "psyche" because we used to say that all the time when I was in school, it meant that you didn't mean what you just said which was why I was confused by Adam's use of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks