What's new

Psych Season 3- 7/18/08 (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't remember the episode, but my favorite clue-gathering moment occurred when Shawn and Gus were poking around an exec's office while he was out to lunch. Gus said that they'd better hurry, because the exec could be back any minute. Shawn spied the exec's wedding ring in a dish and a receipt for flowers on the desk. Shawn told Gus not to worry because the exec was with his mistress for the afternoon and wouldn't be back for at least two hours. Then Shawn spied a photograph of the exec with his wife, noticed how ugly he was, and said, "Make that 45 minutes." :laugh:

I hope his high-school sweetie sticks around. I haven't seen chemistry like that on the little screen since Moonlighting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought Rachel Lee Cook was quite good in the episode. But I'd still rather see a hook-up between Shawn and Jules. I've been waiting for that one for a couple of years now. It seems, though, that it's only one way (Shawn >> Jules). On the other hand, maybe some sort of semi-serious relationship between Shawn and [insert name here] would be just the thing to get Jules' attention--that is to say, just the thing to get Juliet to notice what it is that she might be missing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Rachael Leigh Cook was looking very good in that episode. YUM! As was Jules too. Lassie and the bubblehead was hillarious though. I thought that was the highlight of the show. "Best date I've been on!" LOL Regarding Jules and Shawn, didn't the Christmas ep imply mutual attraction? Maybe they avoid it because they're dating in real life?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Good points. And I'd never considered that it may be for that reason. That's possible, I would think.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I really liked RLC in there too! I thought they had great chemistry together, and it DID seem odd to just have her on for one episode, however, they sounded pretty final when they departed.

I kind of like the on-going wonder about Jules and Shawn. It's not overly obvious if they'll end up together, but you can see flickers of it. Kind of reminds me of a first kiss
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
My favorite episode is still the S1 Weekend Warriors. I love how Shawn's face froze when the guy told him that the jar he was holding was for the super hard core people who soaked their brass in urine. Also, he came up with some great lines when he was flirting with Sally Reynolds (Claire Coffee).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I loved the Murder?…Anyone?…Anyone?…Bueller? episode
Great John Hughes movies jokes.

Loved the scenes where Shawn asked for his Dad's underwear in the Sixteen Candles joke scene.
Then when Shawn and Gus are carrying the dead mascot body in the halls and Shawn backtracks to talk to the two pretty girls, in the Ferris Bueller joke scene.

I guess it was just me, but I thought Rachael Leigh Cook looked horrible.

Here is an updated schedule of episodes to come.
We're getting another Christmas episode!!

Aug 1 08 Daredevils!
Aug 8 08 The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable
Aug 15 08 Disco Didn't Die. It Was Murdered!
Aug 22 08 There Will Be Murder
Sep 5 08 Talk Derby to Me
Sep 12 08 Gus Walks into a Bank
Dec 12 08 Christmas Joy
Jan 16 09 Tuesday the 17th

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great episode tonight with a wonderful moment of maturity between Shawn and the daredevil at the end, marred only by an obnoxiously prominent and forced product placement ad for Dunkin' Donuts that had no place in the episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam,

I loved last night's episode. There is a lot to discuss in it. I thought the final scene (well, the penultimate one before the final clip) was priceless. Shawn's range was again broadened; I also appreciated how Clutch ended up choosing to do the feat, yet this time for the right reason. And it was great to see him succeed. :emoji_thumbsup:

I was not able to piece together (again) the clues in this episode. I thought the 'Viki - ing" was quite clever. Oddly, I even saw this one clearly tonight (on the motorcycle) and still couldn't deduce what was happening.

Jules was wonderful as well. I really thought the Capt. was giving her an order to date Lassy; I guess I looked into that one a bit too much. ;)

There were so many funny moments in this one, too. I thought Dutch the Clutch was well-cast in this role. And where have I seen his son before? I couldn't recall exactly, but I'm fairly certain that I have seen his face either in a show or a film.

On a related note--

Yesterday, my father and I were doing a crossword puzzle (the one in the L.A. Times). The son of a daredevil was one of the clues (the first name in Evel Knieval); and the word "Clutch" was the clue for 4(!) clues in the puzzle. Later in the puzzle, "Cargo" turned out to be another answer (I couldn't help but think of Clutch Cargo--LOL). I'm just mentioning this for reasons of coincidence or serendipity.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I agree about the blatant Dunkin Donuts thing, they could've been a little more subtle I think, but its not as bad as Eureka is doing it.

Oh well. Anyway, I've now seen Jeff Fahey in Grindhouse, Lost, and this, and I don't know if I could picture him in a 'normal' role after those three. :D

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

Someone posted in the Eureka thread a response from one of the writers about the commercialization issue.

Quote:

"I bring this up now, because there will undoubtedly be a contingent of fans who think we’ve completely sold out. Honestly, I understand that sentiment. But given the changing ways we all watch television, with Tivo and DVR, web downloads and DVDs, the people who pay to make our show have to find a way to turn a profit."

So look for this kind of thing to happen to shows in the future as advertisers look for new ways to reach us. I just accept the way they work it into the story and enjoy the program as a whole. It'd be alot worse if we didn't have any Psych in the first place for them to put an ad into.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for it. My point was more just it was nowhere near as blatant as Eureka is doing it. In this case I wish they didn't have to say "oooh look, Dunkin Donuts" as opposed to just holding a cup or something like that. (And my problem with Eureka's is more that a deodorant like Degree as sponsor just doesn't seem to fit into that whole universe all that well but that's besides the point.)

Joe_H

Screenwriter

I watched the pilot last night before bed. It pretty clearly says that at one point he left to help his mother with the divorce.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Actually, I thought the way they basically made a "bit" out of the Dunkin' Donuts thing worked, because they were doing a product placement but at the same time mocking the very idea of product placement.

Line of the week: "Please tell me you're a hitman."

Re: The ending.

I have to dissent slightly. Although I though the ending as presented worked, I was expecting something different - which I think would have worked better.

The premise is that Dutch is going to kill himself for the insurance money because without him his famiily has no money. And Shawn is there to do whatever he has to to stop Dutch from doing that if he can.

But it had already been established that El Diablo was becoming about as successful as Dutch the Clutch, and on the verge of eclipsing him. And El Diablo is Dutch's son. So if Dutch quit tomorrow, his families income wouldn't change at all. Shawn's best strategy for stopping Dutch was to tell him that his son was El Diablo. But he didn't use it, which makes no sense.

Not only was this the most logical thing for Shawn to do in story terms, it would have been a better choice dramatically, because it would have contrasted El Diablo's desire to be just like his father - which he's forced to hide from the old man - with Shawn's overt desire to be nothing like his father - even though his whole Psych gig is an obvious attempt to do the exact opposite, which he hides from himself. The whole ending just felt like a huge missed opportunity.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, the writers did the best they could with a forced discussion about great Dunkin' Donuts coffee and muffins. But when an hour of programming is already two-thirds commercials on a channel you have to pay to access, I think verbal product placement is a step too far. And because it's part of the show itself, we'll have to endure the ad on any future DVD or HD release. Using name brands instead of fictional generics is one thing. Having a couple minute back and forth is something else.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

See, I took it a totally different way. My thought process being that El Diablo got a real sense of pride and a thrill out of emulating his father. If Shawn had told Clutch about El Diablo's identity, Clutch would've made his son give it up for safety, and that would ruin the joy that El Diablo has in playing on the same field as his father. This way, he still hears that his son is proud, and yet, he doesn't know that his son is defying his wishes by pursuing the career he doesn't want him to, you know?

But overall, really sentimental episode, and I enjoyed it!

LCD22

Screenwriter
I don't know if this has been discussed, but the opening credits for this season are the best one yet. The closing shot they used for "Created by Steve Franks" credit to go over was cleaver and hilarious. I swear each season they top themselves with these.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Honestly, I hadn't even noticed it was different until you pointed it out. Usually I start watching a few minutes late so I guess I must have fast forwarded over that each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks