1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

PSW111

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jmacres, Apr 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jmacres

jmacres New Member

Jeff Macres
    Hello, new member here:

I recently moved into a home that was pre-wired and my beloved floor standing Polks (M70's for sale BTW) would not fit into the room at all. I recently went with Polks TL350 five speaker package which so far is great. My question is regarding the actual existing wires for the sub which are at the left rear if viewing. There is one large what seems to be coax single core wire and then there is another group of cables that almost looks like component wires (different colors). After reading some posts on this site I'm leaning towards just putting a single male RCA connecter on the single wire and going from the receiver to woofer with that. I was just curiuous to know what the other bundle of wires was for? it was actually wrapped up together with the single cable I noted above.

Thanks in advance for any info

Jeff

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Sounds like they tried to send component video and digital coax audio from one end to the other. If the component exists on both ends, just pick one of the colors and use that. Component*, composite, digital coax and shielded subwoofer is all the same cable.

*Obviously in triplicate.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Matter of fact, I use two component video cable for my analog SACD/DVD-A players...why?

Cause you can buy 2 component video cables for less than you can buy 3 stereo analog cables.

4. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    "...there is another group of cables that almost looks like component wires (different colors)."

That almost sounds like multi-channel analog input cables.

And yes, just use the single coax cable from the receiver to the subwoofer. Plug it into the yellow LFE input which will bypass the crossover control knob.

I also use component cables for my analog audio. For example:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MS290/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-Ms290-Master-Series-Component-Video-Cable-3-Ft/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/PR192/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-Pr192-Pro-Ii-Series-Component-Video-Cable-12-Ft/1.html