What's new

PSP Memory Question (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
My son just got a PSP for Xmas. New to PSP I have a question. I was helping him with music on it and it says it is only complatible with Memory Stick Duo. So how come when I search for additional memory to buy for the PSP I get much more hits for Memory Stick Pro or Memory Stick Pro Duo, than just Memory Stick Duo? What is the difference? Do all of these work in the PSP? A short tutorial would be very helpful. Thanks.

RichardK

Second Unit
Duo is the small form factor that fits in the PSP. The Pro Duo seems to be what Sony has out there right now. There is also a High Speed Pro Duo, which costs quite a bit more.

I have had the PSP since its launch in March. I use a really Memory Stick Duo 512Mb, works fine. 1Gig is at a great price point now, so go for that.

Rodney K

Agent
The Memory Stick Pro Duo is a faster version of the Memory Stick Duo. According to Sony the Duo is limited to a maximum capacity of 128MB while the Pro Duo has a theoretical limit of 32GB.

Prior to the firmware V2.0 you could not put music on a Memory Stick Pro Duo. If your firmware is V2.0 or above you can use either the Duo or the Pro Duo for music.

rob-h

Second Unit
FYI, they now have a 4 gig HD for the PSP! The problem is that it costs 20 bucks less then the psp itself!

Rodney K

Agent
With 8GB NAND Flash chips entering production in 2006, there should be 8GB and above PC Pro Duo cards available next year. I'm guessing they'll be less expensive than that hard drive.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Rodney, I went into Settings-then System Settings-then System Information and it says System Software Version 2.00. Is that the Firmware Version?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
OK, made a lot of headway with the PSP, thanks to all here.

One other question, for those who have already gone thru this drill, where can I get the best price on a memory upgrade for the PSP? I'm looking for the best cost vs. memory size ratio., or in other words, the largest I can get before the price really skyrockets.

RichardK

Second Unit
I think the size is 1GB to get right now. anything in the 2 and 4 range is very pricey unless you just 'have to have it'.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I did get an email about a 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo from Buy.com for $139.99, until 12/31. Is that a good buy, or is that price still a significant jump from a 1GB? What kind of prices have you seen for 1GB?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
What brand is that 2GB offer? Even assuming that it's not for the Sandisk Ultra II version, that price is still a pretty good one for 2 GB considering that the majority of 1 GB ones are in the $70 range (roughly $60 after MIR when offered)...and a great price if it is the Ultra II version or even the Sony High-Speed version (which I doubt also, given Sony's list price for it--$449.99).

Speaking of high-speed, such versions like the Ultra II are overkill for the PSP since it's not critical that the PSP needs to write large amounts of data to the MS Pro Duo very quickly--the PSP doesn't take pictures or capture videos...at least not yet. OTOH--if you're one of those folks who can find multiple uses of a high-speed MS Pro Duo (e.g., Sony digital camera), then such a high-speed stick would be worthwhile...but of course, price will then be a factor at this time.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Here is the info:

Sony 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo - MSXM2GS

This link came in an email from Buy.com but as you can see, the page shows "Currently Unavailable". I just got the email today. I was thinking of calling Buy.com to see if they will get more and can I order, will they honor the price in the email.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Apparently Buy.com has them in stock (as of the date/time of this posting); however, it is now going for $145.98. Still a bit more than twice the pre-rebate going rate for 1 GB but not by much...

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Another place to check for duos is BHPHOTO.COM I picked up a 2GB Sony Memory Stick Duo for 149.99 w/ $20 rebate from Sony. $134 after shipping and rebate seemed like a pretty good deal. However I just looked and the rebate seems to have expired.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Tony, first I was upset when I saw your post. But that requires a rebate and I just went there and it says "Product currently unavailable". Mine already shipped, so I guess the little extra cost is worth it, (actually getting it, as opposed to hoping I can place an order at the lower price). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks