What's new

PSP: Dead Pixels (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,
Picked up my PSP the other day and had one dead pixel. The woman at Eb let me exchange and go through 2 more until what I though was good unit. It turns out when I got home there were 2. Are you guys exchanging yours for ones that are perfect, or are you living with the issue??

James T

Screenwriter
I've heard about that. And 'FS' posts almost always have a "No dead pixel" title attached to it somewhere.

Is this really a common thing? I'm still bouncing back and worth on if it's worth it or not. I survived the GB Advanced and DS, but I'm still on the fence for the PSP.

Funny OT story....I bought my goddaughter a GB Advance for Christmas one year. It came with a game(Golden 'something'). After staring at it for a few days, I decided to carefully open the package, the game for a couple days, then seal it up in time for Christmas...she never knew it was opened. And after that, I was so close to buying one for myself.

Ike

Screenwriter
I've got one white pixel. I'm living with it. I had a dead pixel on my camcorder LCD that was bright red, which was very distracting. The dead pixel on the PSP is really only visible when the screen is completely black. I'll take my single dead pixel in lieu of risking getting one that is more messed up.

RichardK

Second Unit
I bought my PSP on Day1...i have 7 dead pixels, but none of these have even the slightest effect to my enjoyment of movies or gameplay...after almost a month of use i have virtually forgotten about them and i definitely dont mull over them anymore like i did , and like most others did/do when they first get theirs... Enjoy!!!!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I went back to the EB GameWorld today to buy the metal travel case. They asked me how I made out with the unit and I told him. He asked me to bring it back in and he would try a few more new ones to make me happy.(I just so happened to have it with me in the car). We went through 4 of them, which had even brighter dead pixels. Made mine look like nothing... So I'm keepin the one I have. Unless you really strain to see them, you can't see it... It doesn't interfere with gameplay. Shoudln't be, but this it what it comes down too.....

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Anyone know why Sony would be having dead pixel problems in the first place? Poor manufacturing? Normal error?

Peter Loan

Second Unit
It's because Sony is using the absolute cheapest, lowest quality LCD panels to help reduce costs.

Anyways, the Blockbuster stores in my area refused to take my PSP back because of dead pixels and instructed me to call Sony. When I called them, the customer service rep told me that dead pixels on LCD panels are normal, and that if I were to return the PSP to Sony, the replacement LCD would also have them. I've bought two LCD screens and a laptop within the past 6 months and have not had a dead pixel on any of them.

Nice quality control Sony...I'd advise anyone on the fence to wait and hope that Sony cleans up their act.

David Ely

Supporting Actor

Actually, that's not quite true.

Sony is using a few different manufacturers for their LCD screens. One of the manufacturers is Samsung, who have a terrible reputation when it comes to dead pixels. I'm willing to bet that most, if not all, of the units with dead pixels are Samsung panels.

It also seems that there are different batches of units. My unit is as perect as it comes and none of my friends got dead pixels. The EB where I got my unit from said they haven't heard a single complaint about dead pixels. A local Toys R' Us (who don't go through the standard suppliers for merchandise) said they have had many complaints.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is keeping track of which units are reported with problems and will stop using the problematic parts.

Also, dead/stuck pixels can become fully functional over time. I've seen it happen so many times on various LCD products. People on other forums have even reported their PSP dead/stuck pixels have 'magically' fixed themselves.

As an aside, I also like buying my new game hardware at EB. It's the one store where I have no trouble shelling out the extra cash for their extended warranty. They'll replace the unit no matter what happens to it (even if it's your fault).

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I have no dead pixels on my PSP. At least if I do, I don't notice them. Nothing showed up when I used the test pictures up at IGN so I guess I got lucky.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
I had one dead pixel (always on white) and also a clicky L trigger and exchanged it and the new one seems to be perfect.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
David,

I'm intrigued by your EB info. I might buy there given your recommendation. Easier returns than Future Shop/Best Buy?

Martin.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Martin,

It's pretty much a 'no questions asked' policy. Considering first-run hardware always has its quirks, it's nice to know you can exchange for a brand new unit if needed.

I should note that I have no idea how the recent buyout will affect this policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks