What's new

PSP and Memory Stick Pro Duo (1 Viewer)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Anyone here use Pro sticks instead of standard Duo? It says in the manual that MP3 and ATRAC will only play on Memory Stick Duo and not Pro Duo. Can anyone verify this to be true? It's in the PSP manual but wondered if anyone actually tried to play MP3s on a Pro Duo stick.

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator
I use a sandisk pro duo for mp3 on my psp with no problems. buy.com has a good price on them (when they have em).

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator
You don't need to format mp3 files only video files.Some of my mp3 files are five years old and i just drag and drop them into the music folder.anything else, just ask.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I seem to be having a pr;oblem with playing MP3. I put the MP3 files into the MUSIC folder which is in the PSP folder. when I'm in the system menu, I chose the music icon, and see a list of numbers plus the mp3 designation. but when i click on the X to start, the system just locks up and I have to restart. It plays games just fine, I haven't done any MPEG4 videos yet.

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator
That's weird.I would re-format your memory stick.Make sure you to copy any game saves to your computer before formatting.

TedT

Second Unit
So will PRO sticks work? With mp4 movies? Going on a big trip next week and Fry's has a sale on the 1gig PRO (not DUO) sticks.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Pro will work fine.

Matter of fact PRO is much better to use than standard. Faster (think USB 1.1 vs. 2.0)

Anything more than 128MB will be PRO, no matter what: std only supported 1 128MB bank, the old 256 standard actually had a switch for 2 128MB banks.

PSP and any Sony device 2003+ supports PRO. If it doesn't support anything it's the MAGIC GATE which is the onboard encryption (optional).

TedT

Second Unit
I just didn't know if PRO or PRO DUO are the ones to use w/ the PSP.

Cool. I'll try out a PRO then. thanks.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Don't you mean "Memory Stick Duo"? I mean, I could be wrong but I can't see how it would be physically possible to insert a MS Pro stick into the PSP memory stick slot w/o either damaging the stick, the slot, or both...

FWIW--the two kinds of memory sticks that will fit in the PSP slot are MS Duo and MS Pro Duo...but since it appears Sony doesn't currently offer many different sizes of MS Duo sticks (the only one they list on their website in the MS Duo flavor is 128 MB), you're basically left w/ the MS Pro Duo, which of course is currently difficult to find in the 1 GB size. There is an adapter which will allow you to insert either one into an MS Pro slot, but an MS Pro stick (or MS Pro adapter) itself will not fit into the PSP media card slot.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
OP The Pro DUOS's will work fine for everything except ATRAC3 files. The PRO Duo's will NOT work with the Sony Connect software even though they say MagicGate. Everything else is exactly the same including the transfer speeds both are USB2.0 speed compliant (regular duo's and duo pro's). MP3's will play fine and so will MPG4 video.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
the Duo type according to the book depends on your use of ATRACs. They need magic gate sticks. I have used Pro Duo and it seems to work, except for my flaky MP3 files. Is everyone here just using 128k Mp3s, or are you using higher like 192 and 256? The MP4 videos are working just fine.

TedT

Second Unit
Thanks TonyTone. Yeah, I meant PRO vs PRO DUO. You answered my question. Thanks.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
The MP3's I have played have been all over the map from 96kp and up, they all play fine on the PSP. I really wish the Duo Pro's worked with ATRAC3 format as it sounds superior sound quality wise with smaller file size. But even content you load from CD's in the Sony Connect Software to ATRAC3 will not transfer to the PRO Duo's only the lower capacity normal Duo's. So I gave up and went back to using MP3 I usually encode at 160kbps which is the best for me considering sound quality and file size.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Hey guys, im having a really hard time finding the 1gb yellow Sandisc Memory Stick PRO Duo (Or ANY 1gb duo pro for that matter). Everywhere is backordered and they keep pushing the dates back further and further. Im getting annoyed with this, I bought my PSP last week hoping Id be able to actually use it for more than just games. If I'd have known there was a demand for these cards, I would have held out on the PSP. Anyone know where I could get one and not spend over $120 (with shipping)? I really dont want to buy a smaller one, just to buy a larger one months from now, and I dont want to pay a premium price for one either. Do I have any other options?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Jean:

PC Connection has both the SanDisk and Sony 1GB PRO Duo cards on order (SanDisk cards should be available in 1-2 weeks, Sony 2 weeks+). The SanDisk is retailing for $105.95 (+ S/H) and the Sony for $92.95.

The problem with discounted sightings is that this info is picked up quickly by gaming and bargain hunter forums, and sell-through of stock can happen in a matter of minutes. Given the immense popularity of the 1GB card and low inventories, I expect prices to remain relatively high at smaller, independent e-tailers; the heavyweights (Amazon, Newegg, etc.) may be more affordable, but you'll need to check these sites frequently to ensure your chances of securing one.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Thanks Ken. I just took the plung with Ebay however. the 1gb sony one. winning bid @ $131.00 and $144 with shipping and insurance. Ouch. I just couldnt wait. I have a few hour car trip comming up next weekend and I really wanted one. Oh well.

Leo

Second Unit
Yeah, the memory stick pro duo is a challenge to find in stock. What I normally do is go to BHPhoto.com and submit my email for notification when they get them in stock. I got a notification yesterday from them and ordered one. It's scheduled to ship on Wednesday. They're marked as sold out now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can't speak for the Duo, but the SanDisk 1GB Pro is available through NewEgg for about $100 shipped -- I just bought one for my digital camera.

The Sony MS Pro 1GB is sporadically available from Amazon for about $100 good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks