What's new

PS4 owners thread (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Morgan Jolley said:
Also, regarding Forza 4, that was released on the 360, which uses regular DVDs and not Bluray discs.

Not sure what your point is.

My point was to illustrate the lengths that a major publisher would go to, just to save the cost of a single disc.

That it was twin DVD's instead of twin Blu-Ray's is 100% irrelevant to what I said.

Morgan Jolley said:
Uncharted 3 requires a ton of space to download on PS3, but the actual game is only like 23 GB (without multiplayer or 3D cutscenes).

Even if they remove 3D cut scenes, make multiplayer modes be downloaded, and remove non English language options from the disc, I just don't see it coming close to fitting.

The Last of Us was a struggle to fit and only ballooned in size despite their best efforts. Even if your 65 GB estimation is accurate and they can experience some savings like engine commonality, we're talking a collection that history tells us likely will be closing in on filling two discs.

Morgan Jolley said:
There are many 360 games that had multiple discs, including one or two Halo games (multiplayer on one disc, single player on another).

Very few 360 games are on multiple discs. I'd be very surprised if games like Dead Space 2 account for more than 2% or 3% at the most of the total number of retail releases on the Xbox 360.

Publishers don't like the extra cost that multiple optical discs brings to the table and strive to avoid that, seemingly at all cost in most instances.

Hence the potential issue here that we're speculating over.

Morgan Jolley said:
I but releasing a compilation of games on a physical disc that just makes you download an entire one from the internet? Why bother even putting out a disc?

Like has been pointed out, the fraction of offline gamers on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 is an extreme minority. In fact, the Xbox One, perhaps to this very day, can't even be used without taking it online at least once.

Appeasing folks like myself that care about their retail games being reasonably complete and ready to go despite the presence of a broadband connection, minimizing the wait to start playing your new game, and avoiding encroaching on sometimes restrictive broadband caps are more important than worrying about the minuscule minority of XB1 and PS4 owners that aren't online.

Those are more the reasons why if they can't fit this proposed package onto a single disc, that they'll hopefully bite the bullet and make it a 2 disc release.

Morgan Jolley said:
if they threw in a port of Golden Abyss

That would be neat to see.

Sounds a bit too good to be true, though. I think this one will be more likely to resurface on the PS3 as a standalone budget release for say $29.99 or so (And perhaps ported over later to the PS4 as a download).

Four Uncharted adventures, upgraded to 1080p/60fps standards, would make an already difficult task even more challenging. So cutting out Golden Abyss would be a temptation that I can't really see them not taking advantage of when there doesn't seem to be a huge number of fans calling for a console port of this Vita exclusive.

I'd love to see this long shot happen, though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There is an awesome sale going on for DLC/Season Passes on PS3/4/Vita. Everyone should look, it's pretty crazy.

Sony announced yesterday that they are giving 90-day passes for God of War 1 and 2 HD (for PS3, via PS Now) as preorder bonuses for God of War III on PS4. (By the way, if you didn't know, they're remastering GoW3 on PS4 and it comes out this summer.) That's a pretty awesome and unique preorder bonus.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
12 games owned on the PS4, and my 500GB storage is full up.

I hate deleting games to free space only to reinstall my other games later.

Something has to be done before I buy any more games. :(

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Morgan Jolley said:
Yeah, you can easily upgrade to a 1TB drive. There's great deals on Amazon and Newegg all the time.

That's what I did right out of the box.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Blue Engram dropped. Decoded very well.

IMG_5241.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You'll have to let me know how you like that. I hate the sandpaper cloth of my Silver headset, and wish I could easily balance party/game sound like you can on X1.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
There's a free to play (but probably micro-transactioned to death) version of HUSTLE KINGS out today that might be fun. Just throwing it out there as a heads up for those maybe interested since it's not part of the free games with the PS+ :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think the announcement of The Last Guardian is good news. The next Shenmue...blah. Don't get me wrong, I love the series but winter of 2017?
That's a little too far off to get me excited.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The original Shenmue was the very definition of Too Much of a Good Thing, even if in some ways it was a great idea. I remember having to dial a rotary phone, digit by digit, with the Dreamcast controller. I gave up on it fairly quickly.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Shenmue was great when I was 15 years old because I had nothing else to do. As an adult, there's absolutely no way I'd even bother thinking about playing it.

The Last Guardian is great news but I'm skeptical of FF7 Remake. I'm not sure I want to sink another 80 hours into something I did 20 years ago, nor am I even remotely positive that it will turn out good. They plan on updating the game a bit, which probably means ruining some parts that fans love.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I assume they were massive games (I bought Shenmue II for its virtual arcade with classics like Hang-On, on the Xbox years ago, but haven't yet fired it up)?

If so, hopefully Shenmue III's save system is robust and they have a good log system so that you can know what you've done, what sort of tasks are current for you, etc.

Oblivion is a huge game that can easily take hundreds of hours. But every couple of years I go back to it and thanks to its quest log and such, I seem to get up to speed almost immediately rather than wandering around unsure how to progress.

Someday, I'll actually finish it and move on to Skyrim (I almost have all sidequests done, but Shivering Isles and the bulk of the main quest remain).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I FINALLY GOT MY MEDIA PLAYER SO I CAN'T BITCH ANYMORE, YOU LUCKY FIENDS! :P

XBOX1 getting free backward compatibility via emulation is huge. PS4 could do the same in a heartbeat by allowing free rentals on PSNow for games you already have purchased via the PSN or by putting a disc in (though I've never used PSnow, so I don;t know if saved games can transfer over via the cloud). Will they ever do it? Probably not. If I owned a 360 I would be losing my mind over it.

No Shenmue for me either. I'm excited for Rockband 4 and Fallout 4. They'll keep me plenty busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks