What's new

PS3's now meeting demand (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I think it's actually a pretty fair and balanced article. The article itself says not to be too quick to draw conclusions based on a number of valid factors.

Romar Armas

Second Unit

This is where I believe SONY made a mistake. Trying to do too much. The Wii is already making money on the system while the PS3 is losing a lot. Pair this with the success of the DS, Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank.

SONY is selling the PS3 as a gaming console so that is where it will be categorized. The sales of the Wii should paint a great picture of what people want. And that is FUN.

Romar Armas

Second Unit

This is most definitely true. The PS2 is a monster with a huge library of games at a lower price. Now how do you convince people to move on to the PS3 with it's dismal selection of games and higher price point.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Problem is, that's not a good enough reason to shell out $599 for a system that has a very limited amount of next gen games.
I know of several people who are perfectly satisfied with the PS2for the time being.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

That video made no sense, unless someone was comparing PS2 component out to PS3 composite out.

I play PS2 games thru HDMI and they look more than acceptable.

hdtvman

Auditioning
Real Name
ted
I love the 360 online gaming, but...
If the PS3 online gaming system was just as good, I would go with that.
360 is more expensive. I can't even play Pacman without having to
purchase points from them. That's after I just bought the online gold
package. Then when I bought Call of Duty 2, It gives you less than 1/2
the online maps. I had to buy more points. Meanwhile, my hard drive is
quickly filling up because they didnt put the whole game on the cd because they were planning on ripping me off in the future. After a year out now, why dont they increase the HD space? Maybe they want to sell me external HD's or memory cards in the future. How thoughtful of them. Oh yeah, what's the deal with the 20 second loading time when I walk through a door when playing Oblivion? It's all worth it when playing online though...

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
1996 was a typo, substitute 2006.

In January 2006 I was playing "Call of Duty 2', "Project Gotham 3" and "Dead or Alive 4". That's pretty much it. (Kameo's decent, but not something next gen)

"Motorstorm" is available in Japan, and you can import it if you want (PS3 titles aren't region coded).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I know why I'm not getting a PS3. It's friggin expensive. :) Well that and there's no deal sealer for me so far. Once Final Fantasy or MGS hits next-gen or if Lawrence of Arabia comes out on BD, then we'll talk. :)

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator

HD games, Blu-ray movies, free online gaming, PS1 PS2 backward compatibility, one year warranty, media capabilities, HDMI, BT wireless, etc...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Guess you missed the most important reason you buy a game console for: quality games, which at the current time, the PS3 is sorely lacking.

As far as the remainder important features, with the exception of BD and HDMI, the XBOX and PS3 are pretty much the same functionally.

As for on-line gamming, what I have seen of Sony's current on-line service, it should be free, and Blue Tooth? Until Universal remotes can handle BT, this feature is a negative, not a positive.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Guess you missed that a lot of us are buying more than just a game console with the PS3. We are buying a convergence device.

Would I love to have more games? Sure. Absolutely.

But did I end up getting one of the best currently available Blu-Ray players, the only one currently with HDMI 1.3 for $200-$400 less than just about any other comparable BD player on the market? Yes.

If your personal narrow definition is that you only want a gaming system, go buy a Wii. I won't hold it against you. Heck I want one! And when Halo 3 comes out, I'll probably want a 360 too.

But for those of us who shelled out $600 for a PS3, with the admitted poor selection of launch titles, please don't assume we're clueless morons who were expecting a huge library of A+ quality games and are now crying over our spilt milk.

We knew what we were getting in to. I have watched now over a dozen BD movies, and I have a lot of fun playing the Motorstorm and GTHD demo. Until the fighters--my fave genre outside of sports--come out (VF5, Tekken5) that will tide me over just fine.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Sony wants people to see this as a convergence device that does more than play games. If they didn't, they'd have stripped the BD from it and charged XBox 360 prices.

But something tells me they're counting on the PS3 to help BD win the format war, and I think that history may prove that strategy right. Time will tell.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have not been monitoring the amount of PS3 sales and units in store shelves. Is the PS3 indeed gathering gust r is it selling? If it is, perpahs I need to change the title of this thread.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Well itrackr is showing 65% national availability. I had two friends on friday go to best buy to pick up 2 PS3's in the Virginia area. They didn't have any, but found a couple in the area that had around 15. So they went there. Grabbed two, and one was going to pay for both. They started ringing them up and a manager came running over and said they can't buy two, still limit one per customer. They explained that it was one for each of them, but only one was going to pay for them using a Best Buy credit card. She still said no. She walked away and they went to a different register to pay for the second one, she came back and told them again that he couldn't buy a second one and walked them out of the store. They had to go to another BB a half hour away just to pick up the second one.

I think a more appropriate thread title would be "PS3's now meeting demand". Shipments are coming in every week and they are selling enough to warrant another shipment, on average.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Game consoles sell at a much faster adoption rate than new media formats like Blu-Ray or HD-DVD or DVD (stand alone players of course).

So even if the PS3 isn't selling lightning fast ... even at a steady clip they should ship 10 million within the first year, especailly with the European launch coming.

That has a huge impact on the HD-movie market IMO. Blu-Ray has really turned out in terms of disc sales since the PS3 launched, and that's not even 1 million units.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Even if places can now stock them because Sony meets (and is exceeding) demand, that's actually not "gathering dust" as before the New Year (and even into early 2007) it was difficult to find them.

Remember, you're supposed to be able to find items you want in-stock. That's the norm, that's the way business runs. For a $500-$600 item, I'm actually surprised they were this hard to get a hold of. When I first heard of the pricing model Sony was using, I figured no one would ever pay that much, and thus I'd have an easy time buying mine at or around release date. I was wrong.

If come mid-March consoles that Sony shipped in early January haven't moved, then they'll be "gathering dust."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks