What's new

PS3's now meeting demand (1 Viewer)

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator

Huh? I think you may have Sony and MS confused.

I was under the impression MS had more 360s worldwide for sale on day one than the PS3 has even shipped since launch.

I could have swore there were around a million 360s for sale worldwide at launch, with new shipments each week. As far as I can tell the PS3 hasn't even hit a million yet even combining their weekly shipments.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I definitely think the price point is harming the PS3, and for this reason I expect they may have to seriously consider a price drop by summer. I myself kinda want one (for blu ray, not games) but I'll likely wait until the hardware is in rev2 stage and has a magic price drop.

By June I hope.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They did, then it was slow from then on out.

Numbers from vgcharts.org.

Xbox360: (worldwide)
thru Jan 6th: 1,038,250
thru Feb 6th: 1,236,000

PS3: (worldwide)
last known numbers: 1,310,000

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

But if these numbers are *SHIPPED* and not *SOLD*, how much do those 2-3 60 gig PS3s at each Target/Walmart add up?

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, I hold off on all X-box activity until there is an absolute must have game to swallow my pride w/ a company which has questionable business practices, but I'd say the launch for PS3 is significantly softer than that of either 360 (which I don't see as great in the first place) or the Wii.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm sure the PS3 is a great machine, but Sony just has done too many things in the past that really annoy me... copy protected cd's putting some root kit or whatever on pc's, endless add ons, and just other hardware that they seem to push... I know that they aren't forcing me to buy it, and Microsoft is an evil empire as well, but Sony just bugs me...

Bottom line, PS3 owners, I'm glad you can get a good blu ray player and gaming machine for a decent price, but personally I'll go for the 360.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sony managed 820K worldwide with an additional week. By March, MS had shipped near 3 million xbox 360's with 5.5 million sold by end of Fiscal. Currently, MS sits on about 9.5 million sold.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Just checking the feed on PS3Finder.com the PS3 has even been in stock at Amazon for the last 2 and a half hours.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis
Both companies have a tendency to use fuzzy match. I see both companies as starting in the console business in the same fashion but MS seems to be going about things better.

Sony got into the console business by stealing ideas from Nintendo, which it had been building an add on drive for, and making improvements. In the second generation they got scared by the Dreamcast beating them to market so they started to make big claims about the powers of the emotion engine. While the claims never came true, they did enough damage to make Sega stop making consoles. Now since the PS2 did so well and the rest of the company is going under they have thrown all the eggs in the PS3 basket to save themselves. They are forcing BluRay so they can win the format war. They left out a scaler so you will want a new Sony TV to give you 1080p that only the magic of the CELL processer can supply. They took out rumble to match Nintendo by having motion capture. They were scared about coming late to market again so they showed a bunch of CG video again which is causing a lot of embarrassment now that people are seeing the actual games.

MS got into consoles after stealing ideas from Sega while working with them on the Dreamcast and improving on them. The Xbox did well but even thought it was a better system than the PS2, they came into the race too late to catch up. They learned from past mistakes and beat Sony to market with a well thought out combination of software, hardware, online play and made the system available in a stripped down model that could be upgraded easily instead of forcing things on the consumer. When E3 would roll around, they showed actual footage using the graphics from the game instead of a video of what it might look like. While the games looked inferior to the PS3 videos at E3 most of the games showed much improved graphics when released on the 360 instead of what we are seeing most of the PS3 games showing.

So to recap while both companies have dubious practices, in the console wars, MS seems to be the more honest company. MS also seems to be actually trying to provide a good product as compared to Sony which seems to be riding on it's name and some false promises in hopes of saving itself from going under.;)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Well with all this gathering dust talk, I figured it was time to try and pick one up. Called all around the Denver Metro area and most places(target, compusa, ebgames/gamestop, circuit city) were out of stock. A couple Best Buys (seemed to have the most stock), 1 EBgames, and 1 Circuit City had the 60gigs, but no one had any 20gig which was what I was looking for. Turned out Amazon.com opened up purchasing for both 20gig and 60gig today so picked one up and it will be here monday. Ended being cheaper than getting local since there isn't sales tax and s/h was only $12 for 1 day shipping.

I have a short stack of BD movies but no games that interest me yet or play at 1080i, so this machine will be a movie player first.

At least now I can officially jump into the 'BD owner's club.' :D

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I was just in a Des Moines best buy store and they had about 5 on the shelf.

the ps3 is priced like a piece of high end equipment. I just don't see the masses shelling out that kind of money.

Which is why you can't find a wii anywhere. It's that sub 300 price point that makes parents AND kids happy.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Got any links? Because I haven't seen anything showing those type of numbers for 'shipped' let alone 'sold' come from anyone other than MS or nexgenwars.com which is as inaccorate as any of us just throwing up guestimates.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

By the way, these numbers very closely match the numbers posted at NextGenWars. This brings the total shipped 360's to around 9.5 - 9.7 million units.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis
Actually those numbers were recently said to be false by NPD who advised that they will not have a complete tally until next week.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#ep1

=========================================
Finally, we've been working to track down total sales numbers on the new video game systems, and Videogame Charts seems to have the best numbers we can find (let us know if you happen to see any of the manufactures releasing actual/confirmed sales figures). According to them, Nintendo has sold 3.83 million Wiis worldwide since the November launch of the system. Sony, meanwhile, has sold about 1.31 million PS3s and Microsoft's Xbox 360 - which debuted last year - has reached about 8.13 million units.

http://www.vgcharts.org/
=========================================

Marek

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The actual games look and play very well. The 360's launch was a disaster games wise. It's library is robust now, but it took a year to get there. As far as people wanting a "stripped down" system, the Core sells poorly, and forces developers to write to the lowest common denominator. They rushed a poorly designed console to market simply to beat Sony, as all the numerous heat failures and having to have a power brick outside the machine shows. Red Ring of Death indeed. Plus the damn thing sounds like a minivac when you're playing. I have one. It's noisier than any other piece of gear I own, including this PC with 6 fans in it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Say what? The core system requires no dumbing down by the developers as it runs the same graphics and processor, what dumbing down is required. This is not the PS3 that requires HD space to load game code onto just to make the load times acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks