What's new

PS3's now meeting demand (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As Peter and Thomas already covered, the bundled-in disc is indeed not counted, only retail sales.

Also, only the initial PS3 batch (the number I kept seeing was 500K) got the BD. I didn't, and had to buy it :frowning:

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
The last pre-launch figure was 500k units, but they actually delivered less than 200k. I got mine during the second batch and it did not have Talledega.

Also, did Toshiba offer 3 free HD DVDs with purchase of a player?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
They currently do. I believe it is through the end of the month. Just received mine from my purchase of a XA2.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
so there are freebees on both sides... wither or not they included in sales numbers is now a moot issue...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
News from the PS3 sales Japan front.

The Media Create link also shows a big drop off for the 360 and Wii. Guess it is to be expected after the holidays.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I am not sure if it was posted.....

http://www.i4u.com/article7666.html
Sony reveals interesting Sony PS3 Numbers

--------------------------------------------
Sony announces Sony PS3 sale/shipping numbers for Japan. Sony says to have shipped 1 million PS3 consoles domestically.
World-wide Sony has shipped close to 2 million Sony PS3 consoles. Overall 5 million Sony PS3 games have been shipped.
There a first Analyst voice saying that the demand for the Sony PS3 is softening in the United States as many surveyed retailers have the Sony PS3 in stock. Sony counters that saying that they airlift 100,000 PS3s into the US every week.

Marek

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Latest anecdotal; Best Buy, OKC, 63rd & May, Saturday, they had zero PS3s. The guy said they get them in regularly now, typically 5 or 6 at a time that are gone by the next day.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
My local EB games has the 20 gig PS3 at $399.00 with the trade in of a PS2, and a controller, and an 8mg memory card.
I think we may bite.:emoji_thumbsup: I could care less about the games, good ones will eventually come, but want a BR Player, and this one has a lot in that dept according to many online.

I got the 360 plus HD drive and as soon as I did the HD DVD slate seemed to dry up. But after seeing what an HD optical disc can look like on our SXRD 60", we're hooked! Since the stupid HD war show no real sign of abating, and we are already in, we may as well be able to play both major formats, though at least a third HD format is growing in China................

Now a PS 2 question.
We have two, an old one with a fan and a newer one that is much smaller, with no fan. I am assuming the newer one is a redesign and this was done for a good reason? Is the fanless one the one to keep, or the larger older one? Which should we jettison? No need of having two of them around when one could take the price of the PS3 down by $100.00. :)

Romar Armas

Second Unit

Keep the slim PS2. This is the new version and more compact. However, you can also play all your PS2 games on the PS3 so later on there might not be any need to keep the PS2 at all.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

Thanks, that's what I am leaning towards. We used to play Champions of Norath on line and have two screen and two PS2s. This allowed us to play a game together without the constraints of constantly staying on the same screen/grid. One could wander farther in this manner and also others could join in.
I liked PS on line play as it is free.

You are correct on the PS3 playing a lot of the PS2 games, but I have seen on the internet a site showing the rendering engine failing horribly on PS3s when playing back some PS2 games. The current wisdom is that one should play back PS2 games on a PS2 for the best result.
I'll ask my Droogs for the links and pass it along. I think later Final fantasy games are some of the examples.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
The PS2 playback issues on the PS3 were most definitely fixed with the v1.5 firmware upgrade. See the PS3 1.5 thread in the BR section.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately PS2 playback on the PS3 is still extremely blurry when output at 480p. 480i on the other hand looks pretty darn good and about equals the output on a real PS2. Comparing the 480i output to the 480p output, it's obvious that Sony is employing some sort of filter to smooth the 480p image that is far too agressive.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
New sales figures for Japan PS3 deliveries seem to contradict Sony's 1000000 delivered in Japan numbers by a pretty wide margin (who would have thought)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
No, but they do play fine games :) . Guess that is what a gamming console is supposed to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks