What's new

PS3/Xbox 360 video streaming (1 Viewer)

adam613

Agent
Real Name
Adam
I have a projector-based home theater system in my apartment. I am pondering ways to display video from my computer's (many) hard drives on the projector. The first idea I had was to run an HDMI cable and an optical cable to my receiver and use the HTS as a second monitor. But that's a somewhat clunky solution when I don't really want to use the projector as a monitor...I don't play a lot of PC games, and the ones I play are like SimCity 4, which does not have any business being displayed on a projector :)

So I started looking at dedicated streaming devices, and realized the prices on HD versions are in the $300 range; for not much more, I could buy an HD video game system, both of which can stream video.

What I know is this:
The Xbox 360 can stream from Windows Media Center (which I have), but only MPEG1 and MPEG2. It's cheaper than the PS3 and has a significant game library.

The PS3 can stream MPEG4 if you have Nero 7 Ultra Edition (which I do). It can also play Blu-Ray movies and upscale DVDs. It has built-in 802.11g. There aren't a lot of games, but it can upscale PS2 games.

What experiences do y'all have with using these systems to stream video? That's the primary motivator behind the possibility of me buying one of these in the next few months.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I use a 360, but I have issues playing some mpeg formats, I havent figured it out much, but you could use a 3rd party streaming solution instead of Windows Media Player or MCE on your PC. these 3rd party apps are free and do an incredible job and let you set up RSS feeds and all kinds of file formats. I used to use one, but the computer I stream from is a bit slow to run them both. However, What I want to do is take my old Xbox (not the 360) and use XBMC instead. as it would be the cheaper route over all and use this in my bedroom. you should check out that solution. you can get a Xbox dirt cheap now a days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks