What's new

PS3 reviews... looking forward to some hands-on comments... (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David, I thought I read on another thread that they were up to 1.31 or 1.32, are you having trouble updating to those versions?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
the 1.31 update apparently didn't address the lock-up so I didn't want to rock the boat. I haven't heard any reports of the 1.32 update in regards to this issue but I'll probably install that update soon and see if anything changes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Please do keep me (us) updated. I'm probably going to unbox my PS3 tonight or tomorrow during the day and will want to hear of your experience before updating my firmware.

My unit was just shipped to EB yesterday (yes, I know it probably sat in a warehouse somewhere for some time) but I do wonder what firmware my PS3 shipped with. Has to be a newer than 1.0 firmware, you would think?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Today, I finally got a quality transfer to watch via Blu-ray: THE SEARCHERS.

I've been watching high def TV and movies over the air and off pay cable channels for several years now, but I kept reading from those with these HD players that high def DVDs were even sharper and more three dimensional than TV or cable broadcasts. I didn't see how it was possible, but now that I've seen a truly quality transfer on Blu-ray, I can see EXACTLY what folks have been raving about.

TALLADEGA NIGHTS was a little flat looking: sharp but not particularly looking like you were looking through a clear window onto reality. THE SEARCHERS took my breath away with its dimensionality, the depth of focus (helped, of course, since it was shot in Vistavision), and clarity.

What a terrific way to enjoy one of the great films of all time in the best possible way at home. If I had ANY doubts at all about the ability of the PS3 (or any high def rig) to stun me into a stupor, they are now put to rest.

This is an amazing way to watch films in the home.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I picked up my PS3 two days before christmas when I went into my local blockbuster and they had 4 in stock. On boxing day I picked up 6 BR movies as FS was having a Buy 2 get 1 Free sale on BR and HD movies. So far from what I have seen and heard the PS3 and BR can be just as good as HD. As a gaming console this beast has tons off potential, all we have too go is give it time.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Actually, the better part of the gaming industry including Carmack(Who's generally regarded as the hardware God) has gone on record as saying that the PS3's capabilites are about equal to that of the 360. So it's maximum potential is pretty much right where the 360 is today.

Cell is an idea before it's time, while it's on the right path, too many sacrifices had to be made to make it work today.

I fear PS3's in alot of trouble at this point. I stopped at one of my cities bigger malls today, and it's BB. The EB in the mall had 4 units, the BB 5. Considering how few have shipped, and the Wii's can't seem to stay on the shelves, I think PS3's going to be a major letdown for Sony over the next few quarters.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, I would say either Carmack isn't familiar with the machine (and who outside Sony can really say they are) or he's just plain wrong.

The "Grand Turismo HD" game demo just blows ANYTHING the 360 has out of the water, period.

Other developers have said that they are only using roughly 20% of what the PS3 can do. It's only a matter of time before the system can stretch its legs.

As to EB in the mall having 4 units, what are the prices? Here in SoCal, where they sell for the retail $499 and $599 they are still impossible to find. Stores like Best Buy or Circuit City who get 20-100 units at a time sell out in less time it takes to watch a BD movie.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Carmack is a pretty trustworthy (and brilliant) guy. I've met him a couple of times and would be shocked if he exaggerated or lied about his impressions.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I don't think he's lying, but the Cell architecture is new. Plus his company's resources are behind PC/360 development. It's like Bill Gates saying he knows exactly what the new Macs can do. They may know a lot about it, but not everything and won't exactly tout advantages of the competition.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I find that extremely difficult to believe. First, PS3's GPU is a GeForce 7 model, a generation behind the current PC vid cards. Second, the Xbox 360's vid card is the equivalent of todays PC vid cards.

Now, I haven't seen it, wouldn't be the first time I've been proven wrong. But on paper, I just really don't see how it's possible because the GPU in the PS3 is a generation behind the GPU in the 360, and PS3's only saving grace is that the sub-processors can be used to shore up the weakness.

I'd strongly recommending starting off with this article...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...60/default.asp

Which is a fairly decent article on both the 360 and the PS3, breaking down both the consoles advantages and disadvantages. It doesn't really pull any punches either, they've got no problem nailing MS to the wall just as well as Sony.

I'd then take a read through this article...

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2379&p=1

Which is a very in-depth breakdown of Cell. (Warning: Very tech oriented, they do include some decent explanations of how processors function for the non-Computer-Science readers, but it's still a hefty read).

Those two articles will give a fairly decent explanation of why Cell is very good for many things, but it's not likely Gaming will prove to be one of them.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Have either of you SEEN or PLAYED it for yourself? If not...

Ryan: how can you compare the 360's video with current generation when it is a year OLDER than the PS3, yet somehow the PS3 is behind? The PS3 video has more in common with the new GeForce 8800 than the 7 series. (Yes, I know it isn't the same).

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Peter will you stop crapping on everything that ISN'T Blu-ray?

I've seen the new GT:HD in action and it looks AMAZING. Does it blow EVERYTHING offered by XBOX360? Based on graphics alone, no. There are definitely games that stack up against GT:HD and some that surpass it, Gears of War come to mind.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Hmmm. PS3 thread.

I have the PS3. I have a 360, and "Gears of War". GOW looks great, fun to play, but you'd never mistake it for real life footage. "GT:HD" approaches what really good film CGI can do.

Crapping? By talking about GT:HD? You sure like to pick fights. :frowning:

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I have a PS3 too and if you think GT:HD looks "real" then you need to look again. There are a ton of effects missing in the game. The tunnel lacks real time lighting. There's no other cars in the track, the crowd is sparse and the background is a picture. So far you're the only person that claims GT HD to be superior to all the 360 has to offer.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, playing thru HDMI in 1080p on a Sony KDL40XBR2 it looks better than any racing game I've played. If they can do that with a tech demo at this stage...

"Resistance: Fall of Man" looks and plays great, even "only" at 720P. Need I remind you how unremarkable the XBOX 360 launch lineup was. It took nearly a year for the first "killer app" to appear (Gears of War). I have 14 360 games and 1.6GB available on my HDD. I'm hooking a Western Digital SATA HD drive (250GB) with a Cooler Master e-SATA enclosure, hooking it up to my PS3, and playing HD MPGs. Anyone know if I can take any kind of downloaded content from XBOX Live and transfer it to this drive as well?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You know, it's especially the "period" in that line of yours that makes one wonder...

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks