What's new

PS3 -- Release Day Thread (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

That's ridiculous, passing the blame on something from 4 or 5 years ago and ignoring the fact that MS provided a way of upconverting and Sony didn't. You figure someone in the consumer electronics market would know better.

So Sony can sell their PS3 to only Sony HDTV set owners... that's good business. :rolleyes

And it's not every game, but there will be a fair share of 720p games.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

As far as I'm concerned it's both their fault. It is TOSHIBA's fault because 720p was all ready being supported by at least one network when I bought my set (57HX81), so they should have supported that resolution right from the start.

It is SONY's fault because a competing platform, the XBOX360, supported 720p>1080i conversion right from the start, so SONY should have matched the capability. SONY couldn't be so stupid as not to realize that there are a lot of HDTVs that do not support 720p. You would think it natural to conclude that a platform touted as an HD platform would be made to scale HD content from one HD resolution to another HD resolution: not downscale HD content to SD quality. SONY has been bragging up the capabilities of the PS3 and now they go and do something as stupid as downscaling HD game content to SD quality? It defies logic.

I have generally been positive about SONY and their PS3. I would just chalk up it up to SONY hating when I read post after post about SONY's blundering; however, with the 720p>1080i issue surfacing, I have to say that some of those posts are beginning to look like paragons of reason.

The above doesn't even start to address the stupidity of SONY's decision not to support upscaling of 480p video content to 1080i through the HDMI connector. SONY has been playing up the capability of PS3 as a Blu-ray player. Even going so far as to include a movie as the pack-in, rather than a game. Yet, they release the machine with no ability to upscale in any capacity? After all of the delays? It's ridiculous. Bluntly put, the decision not to include upscaling, of any sort, makes me think that there are a lot of decision makers in SONY's organization who are f@#%ed in the head. SONY is worrying about losing their leadership in the CE industry? I shouldn't wonder considering the kinds of decisions they seem to be making.

The PS3 was my first choice for a new game system/Blu-ray player but the following factors have made me decide to wait to pick up a unit:

1) No upscaling ability for games or video (video less so since my set is component-only and doesn't support 720p).

2) Lack of availability (only about 40 units in the town where I live).

3) A 2x BD drive isn't exactly filling me with confidence. It appears that a lot of caching to the HDD is going to be occurring. However, I will wait for reviews on that aspect.

4) I was able to pick up an XBOX premium pack for 450 Canadian with two packed in games (Ghost recon and some MS arcade throw away) plus two extra games (Gears of War and Ridge Racer 6).

I still would like to get a PS3, but it is now on the back burner until I see whether any of my concerns get addressed in a later iteration.

Edit: Posted before I was finished writing.
2nd edit: Took out reference to idiots. The rest stands.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Well i was at the Putnam,Conn. store when the guy who refused to give up his money got shot. It was raining and i had just got back in my car when the punks came around the corner with the guns, what a close call! One guy came running by my car and motioned for me to call the police and right after that i heard the gunshot. I took off and called the cops. I am glad the kid didn't die who got shot. Poor kid had been waiting there for 40 hours. My wait for the PS3 ended early. I guess i'll wait til supplies are hi to buy one.

Dalton

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Damn Dalton. Close call. I'm glad the kid is going to be OK , but this PS3 stuff clearly got out of hand. I'm just south of you in New London and the lines were long here, but no real trouble.

Check out this ebay action. Go to the bottom and read the guy's description of what he went through to get his PS3. It will put a bit of a smile on anyone who read's it. Funny how easy it is to go tribal:laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9305&rd=1&rd=1

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They were all acting like complete assholes, including the guy who wrote the story; however, it was still good for a laugh. Next time they won't let anyone buy them food.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks