What's new

PS3 problems (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My 5 year old ps3 powered off tonight while I was watching a BD. Tried rebooting but no luck. It sounds like the motor is having trouble getting going. Is it worth sending out to be fixed? Is there something I can do without sending? Or do I need to face the fact that I have used this nearly every day for 5 years and it's time has gone?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Typically the power supply and drive are more costly than just buying another one.

IF you did the work yourself...sure. But are you comfortable with a screwdriver?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are two drives on Ebay. Not sure which, if either, is the correct one...but...

Apparently if you search PS3 Bluray Drive instead of "optical"( :rolleyes: ) you have more choices.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Even if you are comfortable repairing the console, how do you know what to replace? You can spend money on replacement parts and still have a dead unit if you are unable to adequately troubleshoot the problem. The cost of a new console is around $200.00 which isn't terribly expensive. On the other hand the next generation consoles are launching soon and you could look at your PS3 dying as an opportunity to upgrade.

Unless you have some experience, or know someone who has some experience repairing consoles, I am of the opinion that you are throwing away money in an attempt to save money. I had a Tivo die on me and I tried repairing it by purchasing a replacement power supply and afterwards I had a dead Tivo and a replacement power supply. :(

Just my take on the situation.

- Walter.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Walter has a point, but...

Dead PS3 optical(oops, Bluray) drives is a very common problem. I'm shocked yours made it 5 years. There are numerous PS3 forums with DIY videos on replacing the optical drives. Many of those videos also show visual trouble shooting of the various boards inside(essentially showing you how to check the boards to see if signal is dying in those...and the drive simply isn't receiving signal to even work).

Regardless used working drives are cheap. And resellable(even though you might have to drop the price a bit to resell it quick).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I followed one YouTube fixit video, cleaning the console thoroughly, removing all dust, etc. It didn't work. I'm pretty handy with these kinds of things, but most of the other fixit jobs were a bit over my head, and there's no guarantee any of them would do the job. I'm going to get another PS3 - one with more GB - since, before yesterday, I never had a moment of trouble with this one. It has a LOT of miles on it. Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks