What's new

PS3 Price Drop - $499 (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'll add my vote for the PS3 as a very nice Blu-ray player and well worth $499 even if you don't intend to play games.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sounds like Sony is finally admitting they made some serious judgement errors when pricing the PS3 by putting their pocket books deeper into subsidizing the PS3.It is a little unusual for a new game console to see a major price reduction in it's first 6 to 7 months life.

Adam_R

Second Unit
UPDATE: (10:50am ET) In a just-published interview with Reuters, Sony President Ryoji Chubach denied these most recent rumors of a pricecut, saying "at present we have no plans" to lower the game console's price.

So which is it: A pricecut? No pricecut? A Circuit City-only price cut? Time will only tell... Stay tuned.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
There will be a price cut. No Sony executive in his/her right mind would say there is going to be a price cut a week before it occurs and kill a week's worth of sales. BTW, the Target ad is up at DVD Talk, and it also has the PS3 listed for $499.99.

The original XBOX was released on 11/15/2001 at $299.99. On 05/15/2002, six months later, it was $199.99. A 33% drop. The PS3 was released on 11/11/2006 at $599.99. Assuming it drops on 07/12/2006 to $499.99 that is only a 16-17% drop and over a longer amount of time. And, to date, Microsoft has still not turned a profit on their game division.

What does all this mean? Apart from it takes money to make money, not a lot. :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
There was one big difference. The price cut of the XBox was directly related to the price cut of the PS2 from 299.99 to 199.99 on 05/14/02. Sony has had not such price drop from it's competitors. This drop is a response to the lackluster sales of the PS3 and as an effeort of moving the PS3 out of it's last place standing in all markets except Japan.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Sure. And it is also to allow the PS3 to be priced more than competitively with the XBOX 360 Elite.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They have to do something.
It's not going particularly well for them in the gaming segment. The previous week there even was a moment when the little Nintendo Company was worth more on the Japanese Stock Exchange (Nikkei) than Sony!

(No longer so, BTW.)

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
There seems to be many conflicting reports as to whether or the not price cut is a store cut or a Sony cut, and whether or not it is only for one week.

If it turns out to be a real cut from Sony I would expect MS to counter it with the same level of price cutting.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

You expect MS to cut the price of the XBOX 360 Elite when its only been released for less than two months?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Placed an order with Circuit City for in-store pickup at $499.99 and it includes an extra controller for free. Sweet.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Very good.

And then in August an 80gb version with the game Motorstorm will be realsed for $599. Interesting.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Xbox 360 is not dropping it's price. If there is a price drop, it won't be for a long time. Sony dropped it's price, because it had to. I work in retail, and we have had the same 6 PS3's since January. The systems were simply not selling, and my local EB had the same experience. There was almost a stigma attached to buying a PS3 because most hardcore gamers knew something drastic was going to happen, and presto here it is. I'm so happy that Sony realized that something had to done. Now they can start selling all the systems that have been collecting dust since Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks