What's new

PS3 or HD player (need advice) (1 Viewer)

Quenten

Agent
With PS3 so near to it's release date, Should one just wait and buy the PS3 or buy a dedicated HD player. Why or Why not?

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Yea can be a tough call. If you are somewhat of a gamer I would say go with PS3 obv...I myself am wondering if the quality of the BD movies will be the same as a dedicated player. I think that I am either going to go with PS3 or a second generations HD, or BD player.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

With only 400k PS3's to be shipped for the release to the US (and I believe this to be an over estimate. More likely 1/2 that amount, like the XBOX 360), it will probably be February or March next year before you can actually get a hold of one. That is near 1/2 year away.

The question should be, by the time I am able to get the PS3, would I have received the benefit from the player if I purchased it now. If the answer is yes, buy a player now. If no, wait.

This brings up an interesting thought. I wonder how many people will buy a PS3 as a dedicated BR player. If too many do, this will have a major (negative) impact on Sony's gamming division as it will give unrealistic numbers for the game developers to base their decisions on.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
My own opinion -

if you are planning on buying a PS3 to play games, buy it, and if you're happy with it as a BD Player, then lucky you, you don't need to buy another one.

If you don't plan on using the PS3 for games, wait for a Panasonic, Sony, or Pioneer BD player!

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
If you can get your hands on a PS3 then by all means go for it. Then tell us how it is for BD playback. Worse case if you don't like, you can always resell it (prob for more than you got it for).

Dave_BG

Auditioning
Real Name
George

I support this too, and i would recomend an actual BD player but not of those relesed this year. Its too early yet!

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the output resolution restriction on the PS3 for 1080i effects BluRay movies as well? I've been able to find plenty of articles about how it affects games but, not movies so far...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

It shouldn't, as it relates only to games that are 720p. As all BD movies are encoded at 1080p, there should be no issues.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks ppltd... As soon as I read this there was confirmation on IGN as well :) It only affects games that are 720p (unfortunately most) - Blu Ray movies are not affected in anyway.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I just picked up my Playstation 3, and all I can say is WOW, Sony has made the wair worthwhile. I have seen an early Panasonic player and my friend has the Samsung, and I have to say this blu-ray player is the best yet. I am going to spend tomorrow all day with this thing. I am more interested in the movies than the games, so any report will have to do with the blu-ray movie part of the system. I had to update the game as soon as I hooked it up, which was very easy, about 5 minutes, and setting up the system (for your correct tv, ect) only took an additional 5 minutes. Wiring and hook-ups very easy, and I can tell you that the excitement is genuine from game players. It came with a game and I have never seen graphics so vivid and exciting before.

I am thanking God I did not go for hd-dvd, because this is incredible, and I have read that the game makers and movie makers don't yet use the full capacity and capability of blu ray. My nephew has the x-box 360, and was going to get the hd-dvd add-on, but today he was with me during initial play of the playstation, and he is going to sell his x-box and get one of the Playstations hopefully from the next shipment (and he is a HEAVY gamer). He just say there with the 2 games and his jaw hit the floor. So did mine with the blu ray movies. Got an early blu-ray of Ice Age 2, and I have never seen anything like this from a home theater. AWESOME!

Just for anyone's info, I am using the Sony VPL-11HT projector (1366x768) on white wall at 180". Also, according to the book, this system outputs 1080p for blu ray movies.

By the way does anyone know if there is a thread for new playstation 3 ownders? Can't seem to find one and there has to be....thanks

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear the PS3 is great. I will eventually pick one up, but when they become readily available. No way was I gonna camp out or pay thousands on Ebay.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Luckily I had preordered online and asked for one day shipping, I would never wait in line to buy anything, especially where I live, northern Minnesota is just too cold this time of year, but our local Target had a line half way around the store, looked like a camping ground.

I played with the Playstation last night a bit before bed and the loading time of a disc is FAST, about the same time as a regular dvd.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Now I wish I would have gotten a PS3. With the prices these are going for on eBay, I could have snagged a Sony Pearl 1080p projector with the proceeds. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks