What's new

PS3 , HDMI to DVI, and non-HDCP display (1 Viewer)

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, trying to connect the PS3 to my Dell 24 inch display (2405...)

Via a HDMI to DVI cable, and all I'm getting is a blank screen. The screen is on, and is displaying a 720p image (I know this cause you look at the settings and it tells you) but the screen is just black.

Is this because my screen doesn't support HDCP?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Damn, so theres no way around this? Even for just playing games? WTF....ICT isn't even enabled yet!!!

Fucking Sony

Oh well, I'll have to switch my 360 to VGA, put my computer back on DVI, and use the Component for PS3 I guess...

Thanks Thomas!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well the HDCP requirement is pretty universal for new HD devices, so it's not all Sony's fault (though they did support the concept, so did just about all manufacturers and content providers).

And yes, it probably is the lack of HDCP that is stopping you, because I have an HDMI to DVI cable hooked up to my LCD TV via DVI w/ HDCP and it works like a charm.

Just to be sure, though, when you first power on you should hold down the power button for 5+ seconds just to make sure it's outputting via the HDMI. When I first moved the PS3 from component to HDMI, I got no picture because it remembers that you were outputting from component and not HDMI. It doesn't "autosense" what is plugged in. So holding the power button down resets it to base 480i/p and senses what is plugged in. Then you have to re-set all of your settings. So every time I move the PS3 from living room (component) to bedroom (HDMI/DVI) I have to do this process.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Carlo, thanks for this tip. Someone else told me this after I posted here and I got excited for about 2 seconds before I tried it and it didn't work anyways. Thanks though...

And I'm just pissed cause from my understanding HDCP was only important if the ICT was enabled, which it hasn't been. I guess I'm clearly mis-informed on the matter....

Oh well, back to component cables I guess...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't need to hold down the power button, all you need to do is flip the master power switch on the back off for a few seconds and turn it back on, and you will be reset. I found this out the hard way.

I didn't realize there were displays that had DVI that weren't HDCP compliant. I'm using a HDMI->DVI for my PS3 and it works fine (Sony CRT) What may make you feel better, it doesn't look all that much different from component at 720p.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
John, thanks for the tip!

It wasn't that I wanted to get the "upgraded signal" so to speak. I'm totally fine with component. The thing is I have one screen for a PC, PS3, and an Xbox 360. I was trying to keep the 360 on component because there are some games (mainly Gears of War, and Halo 1 and 2) that have issues with the VGA signal. My plan was to put my PC on VGA, PS3 on DVI, and 360 on Component. Now I just gotta switch my PC to DVI, 360 to VGA, and PS3 to component. Not really that big of a deal, just a little minor hassle that I figured I'd clarify on here before going through with it.

Thanks for all the responses! Oh and please add me on your friends lists....

CarpeD1em500 for Live, and PSN!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks