What's new

PS3 delayed (1 Viewer)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
This is pure speculation from an industry analyst. I also doubt that Sony will have any trouble both eating a large chuck of the cost or drumming up support.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Sorry, forgot the question mark in the title :b

I knew it was just one source, but I bet they are close at the cost of the system. The blu-ray drives have to be soendy and Sony is going to be eating a large cost.

Guess we will here more at E3.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Of course they are going to say that but I'm guessing the truth is closer to Merril Lynch's assessment than Sony's tiny rebuttal. I guess we'll see in the next few months whether or not they roll out in Japan on schedule.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ

wrong. the cost to sony could be $900. the price (the cost to consumers) will not be $900. i know you say sony will take a hit on some of it, but either way, the "price" will never be $900.

CJ

EricW

Senior HTF Member
is it known whether or not blue-ray stand alone players will output in 1080p by default?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Some interesting highlights from Chris' Gamespot link, Techamok.com and Yahoo! News on the official announcement:

- 60GB 2.5" HDD pre-installed with Linux OS (sold separately or included?)
- development kit specs fixed, as of today
- final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
- 10,000,000 BD-ROMs manufacturing capability per month @ the same cost as a 2-layer DVD
- every PS3 game will be on a Blu-ray disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
- price will not be less than 50,000 yen (~US$425)
- PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
- Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (i.e. end of March 2007)
- online gaming service named PlayStation Network Platform; basic online service free- full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (similar to what the Xbox 360 does for Halo)
- online service will be working off of GameSpy technology

Looks like the movie studios (which Sony also happens to own and operate - the irony) are partially to blame. From CNET.com:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
FREE online gaming? i'll believe it when i see it. Sony could make big bucks by charging and companies always do what's in their interest. even if it starts out free they'll probably start charging down the line.

still, as an xboxer this could only help as MS may be forced to lower their subscription rates.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Just coming in to post the official anouncment and someone beat me to it. At least they gave some specs to go with the news.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor

It sounds like the online offering will be a very close copy of Live. There is a subscription level, so the free will probably just allow you to chat and do other non-gaming type stuff. I doubt very seriously that Sony will allow an opportunity to make some extra $$ slip by.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
what does this mean? i ask, because gnu/linux is not an OS, it's just the kernel upon which the OS is built. linux itself will run on anything (my xbox and ipod both run it), but are they talking about a linux based OS, with gnome/kde? i'd love to be able to hook up a keyboard and mouse to the PS3 and use it as a normal linux box. if not, what benefits of linux being preinstalled do we get?

CJ

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member

I would buy a lot more online gaming games if the online service was free vs if I have pay to play online. I dropped Live after being a beta tester because it didn't offer anything for the money especially when nearly every game was being hosted by a paying customer and not dedicated MS servers. I've gamed online for free since the beginning with PC's and I'll probably continue to do it.

It will be interesting to see what is included in this 'free' package. It is based on Gamespy's network so they could come out with the free one being sponsered by ads, while a pay version is out for completely ad free. That's how Gamespy has survived.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Kutaragi did not elaborate on the Linux OS bulletpoint during the PlayStation Business Briefing presentation. Perhaps we'll hear more prior to, or at, E3?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Gamespy is nothing but a middleware provider. One in a very long list of middleware providers for the Playstation 3. I wouldn't get too hung up on thier name being mentioned as Sony will no doubt have full control of customizing and developing the Playstation 3's interface.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
let's hope so, but i wouldnt expect it to be a main point of presentation.

it must be worth including, because the games certainly won't be running on linux.

CJ

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Still some rumors floating around about possible DVR capabilities. Frankly, I hope they don't bother for this reason: Just concentrate on the game machine and don't try to be a Set Top Box to try and please everyone.

In other words: Do a few things "great" vs. doing a lot of things "ok." ;)

As of today, I'll be making nearly daily calls to my local stores and be prepared to act quickly when the preorder time frame is given. I suggest anyone else that's even remotely interesting in getting this system do the same.

I can't wait to get Elder Scrolls IV this week! That's like Christmas time for me! :)

I'll be amazed if the PS3 comes out lower than $499, given the hardware it's going to be touting and the "Acceptable margin of loss" on hardware sales.

Obviously, if the PS3 comes out cheaper than that, I will be dancing a jig in the streets. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks