What's new

PS3 as a Blu-ray player in a theater (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I have hooked the PS3 with HDMI to the projector( for Video) and Optical audio to the Mark Levinson(Audio). The picture is wonderful BUT the audio sucks. I don't think the optical out does DTS. My preamp automatically goes to prologic!!!!!!!
Would a stand alone Blu-ray DVD player be any better. Upgrading the preamp is a major undertaking.

The PS3 does regular DTS decoding but not DTS-HD, at least not yet. However, you should check the audio settings on the ps3 set up menu and make sure that DTS is an active option by selecting it from the audio list in the set up menu. I have a ps3 and I'm getting DTS output.

kat.hayes

Auditioning
Real Name
Kat Hayes
What features can be found in a stand alone player that are not available in the PS3?

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James

I also get DTS output on my PS3, but the problem I get sometimes is when I watch a regular dvd and when it upscales it gets pixelated. I was wondering if this was a settings issue or something else. I have the ps3 hooked to my tv with hdmi.

LinChen

Agent
Did anyone find PS3 very noisy (the sound of the fan is too loud) when playing a blue-ray disc?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I've found mine to be whisper quiet. In fact, it's actually a lot quieter than my XA2 HD-DVD player.

LinChen

Agent
Thanks. Mine(40GB) is real loud. I guess this must be an unusual problem. I should call their tech support.

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James
I have the 60 gig model and it is very quiet, perhaps you have it in a place where the fan sound can be amplified?

oliveryochest

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
i believe lots of people use their ps3 as a blu-ray player for their HT.
Its the best bang for the buck.

60 gigs here and very quiet

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
With the way my component rack is located in my room I sit virtually right next to my PS3 and it is very very quiet. It will warm up a space but no more so than my Yamaha receiver or Mits projector. When I have all the gear going I tend to bump the AC down a couple degrees to compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks