What's new

PS3 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master??? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
With only and an HDMI and an Optical O/P, how will the PS3 be able to play these upgraded sound formats since there are no AV receivers with this technology built in?

There are not any analog o/p on the back on the PS3. Thus the PS3 can't decode it and pass it to the receiver.

Man, I can't stand the way sony does things. They think PS3 will win them the format war...and if it does it is for all the wrong reasons, and it is us HT enthusiasts that will suffer.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 decodes them internally, so you don't need a receiver that can decode them. Receivers that have HDMI should play it just fine, since it should come from the player as a PCM bitstream. The Toshibas work the same way. However, if you have a receiver with no HDMI, I guess you're stuck with the SPDIF.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just as an add-on to Jesse's post, if the PS3 were to also have analog ouputs, the price would undoubtaly go up. As most gamers are likely not interested in lossless audio, I pretty much think that Sony made a good marketing decision.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I disagree that it is a good decision. If the PS3 turns out to be the only affordable bluray player this side of 06/07, then all the people that purchase one as a bluray movie player are out of luck.

(note to mods, this thread should probably be moved to the Hi-def hardware forum, as I am not a bluray owner)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
They are out of luck if and only if they must have lossless audio in a system that requires analog inputs. Don’t forget that the non-lossless audio formats (DD+ etc.) are really quite good.

I can only repeat that the inclusion of analog out in the PS3 would raise the price. Why would you think that the low price that is attractive would be maintained with the inclusion of additional features?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Will the PS3 provide multi-channel analog output via an optional break-out cable?

Over SPDIF (conventional digital connetion we use today on most gear) all BD players will provide a "core" 640 DD and 1500 kbps DTS from Dolby True HD and DTS-HD tracks, so that's not *too* shabby for those without HDMI connectivity in the meantime.

There's a buz the PS3 like the Toshiba HD DVD players, might provide full decoding to LPCM for Dolby True HD for passing over HDMI (which would work for anyone with HDMI 1.1/1.2 on their receiver to get lossless). But I really want *confirmation* on that before I believe it... to much talk about "True HD" on BD players in general when all it usually means is extracting the 640 kbps core.

Would also love full decoding to LPCM for DTS HD.

Now, since the PS3 has HDMI 1.3, it could send all audio codecs natively to any future 1.3 decoder you may have in your system. And one day you will... though by then you probably won't be using the PS3 either...

:D

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean
so if i have a ps3 with hdmi 1.3, and a receiver with hdmi 1.2, i still get lossless audio or no.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You'd be limited to whatever HDMI 1.2 can do.

In that case, you'd only get lossless audio for whatever was already LPCM or what the PS3 could convert to LPCM for transmission over HDMI 1.2 in terms of high-res/lossless audio.

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean

is there any hope for a hdmi 1.2 to 1.3 converter dongle that might solve this problem?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

One minor correction. HDMI 1.3 requires different electronics and firmware/software. Unless the HDMI port is modular, as in some high-end recievers, it could not be upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks