What's new

PS2 Price Drop? Someone just told me May 10th, 2003 - can anyone confirm this? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was at a local Video Game place (in a strip mall - can't remember the name of it now) and the guy working there told me that the PS2 will drop to $149.99 on May 10th

Anyone else heard this?

I have been thinking about adding a 2nd game system to go with my XBOX setup - and I may just do that if this price drop comes true.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard anything of the sort. The PS2's are still selling well at the price point they are at now. Could be true though, maybe to pick up on summer sales.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
E3 takes place on 5/13-5/16, so if there is going to be a pricedrop, that'd probably be when it happens.

-Dave

Camp

Senior HTF Member
E3 takes place on 5/13-5/16, so if there is going to be a pricedrop, that'd probably be when it happens.
I would tend to agree with that.

Still, I don't see it in the cards. Video games are about the only thing selling well right now and Sony's competition has given them no reason to drop their price.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Can't confirm it for you, but I would think MS and Nintendo will be dropping the price at E3. As for Sony, I would think if the other two do it, they will follow.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Rumor had it that the price drop would occur right before E3. This way, people buy the console(s) and then pay attention to E3 in order to see what will be on their new console in the next year or so.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Mike-

Good ideas here. I would wait until just after E3 to get a new console. That way you get an special price drops or bundling that comes out of E3 (a gold gamecube with Zelda WW anyone? That would be yummy.) and you get to see what to expect from each through Xmas.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, some places here are already shaving £30 off the PS2 price (to £149) in sales, so I wouldn't be shocked by this in the UK.

Microsoft are probably going to have to do something to their price if the much spread rumours of a new slimmer version are true - persuading people to get the old one and use up the stocks, in the same way that there are a bunch of cheap GBAs floating around, will be rather necessary.

And Nintendo will hopefully take notice of the fact that they went from a long way third to outselling the PS2 last week off the back of Asda running a firesale £79 price tag (thats a whole £50 off!) in an attempt to reduce their overstock. Surely a drop to £99 from £129 should be along soon, though they are effectively doing this with a £30 off voucher in the GBA SP box.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, it now looks like I'm going to be picking up a GameCube here real soon (maybe even today!) and that means I will definitely put my PS2 purchase on hold until another price drop comes around (hopefully).

I can wait it out - if it doesn't happen - so be it. I'll still probably pick one up sooner or later...

Thanks for all your replies and info guys - much aprecciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks