What's new

PS2 Network Adapter & Tony Hawk (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Any idea what the release date is for the PS2 Network Adapter? I'm going to want to go online with THPS3 as soon as possible, so I'm wondering if I should be picking up a USB network adapter, or if the PS2 version will be out at the same time.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I read in OPM that the modem/ethernet combo that Sony is releasing should be out by November as well as the HDD. This was the OPM with Silent Hill 2 as the cover story (the last issue)
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I read that some game reviewers played THPS3 online using a USB network adapter and it worked great. I don't think you need the modem (which is 56k and high speed in one) but you might want to pick it up if you don't have a network adapter.
I heard the HDD will be out later, possibly next year. The modem should be out in November.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If the adapter isn't out by the time THPS3 is out, I'll definitely get a USB adapter, but I'm hoping the Sony PS2 adapter will be out in time, if for no other reason than to reduce clutter.
eek.gif

The next step is to get a wireless hub with a remote hub next to all the consoles.
biggrin.gif

-Dave
------------------
DVD List

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Oh, maybe I just jumped to conclusion regarding the HDD.
Just a question about the USB adapter... What is it exactly that I would be buying if the Sony brand (plugs into the rear of the PS2) Ethernet/modem doesn't come out until after THPS3? Is it just a USB Ethernet Card? Obviously, it wouldn't be a card but something more like a HUB, but I'm a little confused how this will work.
If you are just buying any off the shelf USB Ethernet adapter, you won't have any software telling the PS2 what your IP address, DNS, etc is. Yes I realize that for most ISP's(including mine...@Home) all this can be set to automatically detect, but you won't even have that option on the PS2.
Anyways, if someone could just clear this up for me, I will be greatful. I still would much rather have the Sony brand one though, as there wont be any clutter from having another box sitting beside the PS2. But, if Sony's isn't out ontime, I will have to go with a USB version. And since the Gamecube version wont be online, I'll need to get the PS2 version.
Hmm, this post went on for WAY to long for it's own good. Sorry :)
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Andy-
The adaper you would need is just a small little box that plugs into the USB port on the PS2, and the CAT5 cable plugs into the adapter. Any settings would be entered via the game. This can be done on THPS3, although they have it collect as much info as automagically as possible.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
EDIT: Here's a link to
Netgear's adapter
[Edited last by Dave F on October 06, 2001 at 04:24 PM]

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Dave F,
Thanks for the info! I was thinking it was more akin to the Dreamcast. I would have much rather they allowed you to store the info on you memory card (this would happen after you play your first online game), then having to input it everytime.
But whatever, as long as there is something like an "automatically detect" setting on each online game, I wont care.
Once again, thanks for the info.
Seeing as the Sony brand one is going to cost $75CDN approx., I think I'll just get a USB version for half the cost.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks