1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 black level very low...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ryan Patterson, Jul 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the PS2's black level (for both DVDs and games) is very low. I have to turn up the brightness on my TV quite a bit in order to have the black level up to calibrated status (and actually see what's going on in my games). I've done a search on 'PS2 black level' in Google groups but only found references to Sony TVs losing signal when viewing dark sequences using the S-Video connection. (I have not experienced this problem with my Sony KP-43HT20)

Is there any way to adjust the black level via a PS2 service menu or something? If not, then I'll have to switch to a different (brighter) picture mode on my TV. However, with exception to the Pro mode, the other 3 modes (Vivid, Standard, Movie) all have "enhancements" activated that give the picture a different look, even if the standard adjustments are identical between all 4 modes. I know that this will require some adjustments in the TV's service mode (ie. Scan Velocity Modulation, etc) and I'll have to go through my notes in order to find out how to deactivate them all.

Any insights would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    Ryan