What's new

Projectors.. so which one? (1 Viewer)

Birman

Auditioning
Real Name
Rasmus
Hey!
I've been wanting a projector for some time now but I don't really know much about them, so after the obvious research I've ended up here.
So let's make one thing clear - I will be using this projector mainly for movies. (I guess this sort of means I need a Home Theater projector?) However, there is a small issue about the future as well - as soon as I have my projector, I'll be aiming for Xbox also, so in the end I'll be using the projector for movies and gaming. I must say though that currently I don't have an Xbox and the time when I'm actually going to buy it is somewhere in the far future, so it's not going to be an issue at the moment, but I ideally it should be considered. However, if I'm right, in terms of picture itself, it matters little whether it's a movie or it's a game... right?
As for the room itself, it wasn't designed to accommodate a projector, but as it happens, I believe it's good enough. With the size 8x4 meters (~26.25x~13.12 feet), it has two windows, which unfortunately are facing east and south which in term means that if the sun is shining, the room is very lit up all day long. This can be fixed with light blocking blinds. One of the windows already has one and it seems to do a good job when the sun is shining on it. The other one is missing it at the moment due to it's unusual size, but it will be done. Nevertheless, I'm planning to use the projector when the sun isn't shining that much or not at all, so the room will be dark enough for you not to be able to see your own hands in most cases. Should I want to use it during the hard sunlight, the blinds will then either do their work or not. I understand that I'm most likely not going to get the best picture quality at these times but this is really isn't an issue for me (during the daylight that is.... at night, I want the best picture my eyes will ever see :D ).
At the moment I have no screen. The screen will be part of the 8 meter wall because it's white and has been tested quite successfully before, so the maximum distance between the projector and the wall is 4 meters. As for the screen size, it's quite hard to throw a number here, but everything is adjustable. For a 4 meter throw distance, most projectors seem to be able to produce a picture bigger that actually fits (due to desks). In the future though it will be changed and the screen will be on the 4 meter wall. If I've been reading this right, with a 8 meter throw distance (which is obviously an overkill) there's more than enough to cover almost the entire wall.
As for the projectors, this is what I have come up with - according to Project Central, the best projector in my case is BenQ W1070. I'm actually very OK with that because it's price is sort of exactly in the range I'm willing to give (

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gaming is better on DLP. The "lag" is the spec you care about. The most laggy DLP is still less laggy than LCD.

DLP suffers from certain individuals experiencing RBE.

Pick your poison. (as in go somewhere that has them in use)

Possibility of RBE
Lag.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
First off, you clearly have done a decent amount of research - nice!
Birman said:
...and has a contrast of 80000:1 over W1070's 10000:1. That's quite a lot, isn't it? This in theory means that LW61ST is going to give a better picture. But is it really?
Those numbers are meaningless in that context. In addition to www.projectorcentral.com you should spend some time at www.projectorreviews.com. Both sites provide very extensive and detailed reviews of projector and most importantly, provide actual real-world calibrated measurements. Contrast ratios, and brightness performance numbers printed on the box and provided on spec sheets don't even begin to tell the true story of a projector's performance. Both sites will properly calibrate the image for maximum fidelity and THEN tell you what the resulting brightness, etc. is. Read those reviews and pay close attention to their calibrated results. That's what you should pay attention to.
Birman said:
Since it's resolution appears to be 1280x800 against W1070's 1920x1080, maybe it doesn't matter then because it's not suitable for home theater. But why not?
All digital projectors are "fixed pixel" displays - that is, they have one resolution only. Every source that is sent to the projector must be scaled to match that resolution. Any time an image is scaled artifacts are introduced. Therefore, it makes sense to choose a projector that has a native resolution that matches what you mostly watch, so scaling is performed as rarely as possible.

1080 is what you should get for home theater, period. Something with a vertical resolution of 800 pixels does not natively match ANY broadcast standard - so EVERYTHING would be scaled (DVD, Blu-ray, Cable/Satellite, and probably game systems, too). Don't waste time with a data/computer projector for your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks