What's new

Projector vs big Screen (1 Viewer)

JoeDJ

Auditioning
I need to upgrade my 36" Zenith with a bigscreen, but I wonder which is the best way to go....

$$ vs. functionality....

Bulbs vs. the heavy TV

Larger Screen vs TV

What are the best options for a screen if I decide on that???

Thanks for the input...
JM

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
By screen I am guessing you're meaning a projector with screen? If that is the case start by doing some research here There are a lot of variables that play into finding the right projector for you.

Good luck

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Joe, front projectors are FANTASTIC. But, I wouldn't want to use one as my only TV. I use my X1 for DVD's and occasional HDTV, 106" diagonal screen.
Go to Projectorcentral.com and read the "Highly Recommended Projectors".

JoeDJ

Auditioning
I am reading as we speak, but I think that you made a good point. This will be my main TV viewing area, so I may want to stick with the a TV instead of a projector/screen combo.

Still considering......
JM

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think there are several projectors out there that are great for daily tv usage.

I watch standard definition tv on my x1 all the time and it looks great due to the superior scaling built in. The X1 isnt available anymore, though the sp4805 is quite popular and is better for dvd and hdtv anyway.

Personally I feel you cant beat front projection, even with the lower price entry level models (x1, 4805, z1, z2). However I do feel it helps to have a regular direct view set also.

Hell for the price of many popular rptvs you could buy a decent front projector and a new 36 in tv.

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a front projector and they are nice. I paid $849 for an Epson S1+, and it exceeded my expectations. I put Star Wars on and I was pretty much sold:) . Sure, there is the cost of bulb replacement that tends to scare buyers, but Epson bulbs are only $150 at Sams (if you have a membership). But as Jim stated, I also would recommend front projectors for constant TV viewing. I basically save mine for exclusive movie viewing.

MikeGee

Second Unit
I've read up alot of stuff on making your own Projector. It is time consuming but if you are good with your hands you can save alot of $$ and get a pretty big screen with quality to match.
I'm in the same boat as you. I think a projector wins in terms of impressiveness but an actual TV wins for practicality which is why i'll prolly end up scrappin my idea of getting a projector for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks