1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Projector placement

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Clay Wagar, May 15, 2012.

1. Clay Wagar

Clay Wagar New Member

Hello Everyone,
    New guy here. I have a question about placing my projector. Im getting an Epson 8350. Having a home built and i will have a small theater area in the basement. In the picture attached you can see that there is a beam running across the ceiling that is between where the projector will be and the screen, do you see any issues with that? You can also see i have pre wired for speakers and i would like my screen to be centered above them. I don't know how you get your projector centered with the screen when I'm at the mercy of the joist i will be attaching the projector to. I am new to projectors and i appreciate the help.
    Thanks, Clay
    [​IMG]

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    The beam could be a problem, but it depends on what height you want the screen. Just make sure the top of screen is slightly below the bottom of beam. How tall will your ceiling be? As far as centering the projector, you would simply add 2X6 or 2X8 blocking between the joists. The odds of the center falling on a joist is very slim.

3. Clay Wagar

Clay Wagar New Member

Thanks for your reply Jim. The ceiling height in the basement is 9', i think you end up with 8' 8" when its said and done. Was planning on a 100" screen. Do they make a wide projector mount that would attach to 2 joist and then be adjustable side to side to center it up?
    Thanks again, Clay

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    I doubt there are any mounts that wide. All you need to do is add the blocking between the 2 joists where the center falls. VERY simple. I had to do it also. All it takes is 4 screws, 2 into each end.