What's new

projector mount questions... (1 Viewer)

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
So I believe I have made my choice on a projector (Mitsubishi HC4000), and have gone to projector central for the calculator on where to place it. The delimma I am in is that if I put the projector where the calculator tells me, the the screen will have to be just a few inches off the floor, then have a couple feet from the ceiling. Ideally I was hoping to have the screen be centered on the wall to slightly high (not low).
First I wanted to ask, can I go against the calculator and just aim the projector up to center my screen where I want it? If so, or not, what ceiling mounted projector mount do you all reccomend?I was hoping not to spend a lot on the mount, but want what is right to get the job done correctly.
Thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The HC4000 has a rather large image offset. That is your problem. You can mount the projector as close to the ceiling as possible, and angle the projector up to raise the image to the correct height. BUT then you would need to use keystone correction to correct the trapezoid screen shape. That is not ideal. I did that with my current projector(HC3800) but I only needed to use 2 clicks of keystone. I see no image degredation at all. It all depends on how much you would need to raise the image. You may be better off buying a different projector. How far below the ceiling do you want the top of screen?

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Jim Mcc said:
The HC4000 has a rather large image offset. That is your problem. You can mount the projector as close to the ceiling as possible, and angle the projector up to raise the image to the correct height. BUT then you would need to use keystone correction to correct the trapezoid screen shape. That is not ideal. I did that with my current projector(HC3800) but I only needed to use 2 clicks of keystone. I see no image degredation at all. It all depends on how much you would need to raise the image. You may be better off buying a different projector. How far below the ceiling do you want the top of screen?
Well, the back of the room where the projector will be mounted has a foot lower ceiling due to air ducts. So it is already at 8 ft high instead of the front of the room that is 9 foot high, so that's a bad start. If I found a way to mount it flush, that might save me 10 inches or so. Another possible solution is to mount the projector closer to the front of the room where I can mount it on the 9ft part of the ceiling. However the calculator is saying I need to be back 15 ft (13ft is where the ceiling drops).
I haven't purchased the HC4000 yet, but its the price range I wanted to spend, and the quality and longevity I was looking for. I guess what I am saying is, I am not totally opposed to another projector, but would need help finding something else that matches a lot of what the HC4000 offers for the price, while doesn't share the image offset, giving me the picture placement I am looking for.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The HC4000 is an excellent projector, and hopefully it can work for you. What size screen do you want? If you can be a little flexible on screen size and/or height, it may work. The rule of thumb is to have your eyes(when seated) about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of screen.
I have the HC3800, which the HC4000 replaced, and I love it. And the HC4000 is even better.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Jim Mcc said:
The HC4000 is an excellent projector, and hopefully it can work for you. What size screen do you want? If you can be a little flexible on screen size and/or height, it may work. The rule of thumb is to have your eyes(when seated) about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of screen.
I have the HC3800, which the HC4000 replaced, and I love it. And the HC4000 is even better.
Well, that would be about right then. I was just thinking you'd want it higher in the center of the wall. 125" diagonal is what I am aiming for.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
How far will you sit from the screen? This will determine your ideal screen size. A 125" diagonal screen is not a standard size. Normally, it's 110", 120", then 135". I would not go over 120" with the HC4000, even with a dark room. When you punched in your 125" diagonal screen, and it showed a throw distance of 15', that is the midpoint of the throw distance range. That is not where you have to mount projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks