What's new

Projector for DVD, HTPC, and Game consoles (6K max)?? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to upgrade to a projector with a budget of 6,000 max. I will be using the projector primarily to watch DVDs but also for some HTPC, Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 playing. I would break it down to roughly 50% widescreen material and roughly 50% fullscreen material. I can tolerate stretching modes ala the widescreen RPTVs but must be able to watch some 4:3 in its native aspect ratio (especially the game consoles). Would I be better off purchasing a native 16:9 projector or native 4:3 projector? Picture quality is of the utmost importance though I do not want a CRT picture due to burn in. I also have no idea whether or not I suffer from the rainbow effect that DLP projectors can exhibit, but am concerned that even if I do not, family members or friends may. Based on these considerations, which projectors would you recommend? I will be purchasing the projector by mid-June at the latest, but preferably before the end of March. Thank you in advance for your help!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Which is more important to you...

A- A larger widescreen movie image and a smaller 4x3 game console image with black bars on each side?

B- A larger 4x3 game console image and a smaller widesreen movie image with black bars on the top and bottom?

For me personally, everything takes a back seat to widescreen movies so I would opt for the 16x9 setup. Besides, who knows if the next gen game consoles will have all (or mostly) widescreen games.

Regarding the rainbow effect, some people do seem to be affected but the ones with the faster colour wheels do a better job but may be out of your budget range too. This would seem to place you potentially in the market for an LCD PJ then. Check the Sanyo PLV70 in particular. Another popular model is the Panasonic L300U which up to 5000 hours of lifetime on its bulb, an important consideration if you are going to use the device not just for movies but for gaming. Lastly, I will add the Sony HS10 as a third candidate.

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
Provided that there is no issue with burn-in, I would opt for the larger 16x19 area. I can fit a larger 16x9 screen in the alloted space for the screen as well. Though I watch about 50/50 now, I can forsee the amount of widescreen material I watch increasing fairly substantially in the years to come. Another question, will the 4x3 image on a native 16x9 projector suffer quality wise? Or would a 16x9 image suffer on a native 4x3 projector? Additonally, I am currently using a Toshiba Widescreen HDTV set (2000 model), will I get better picture quality from a projector in this price range than my current set (main upgrade is screen size and ability to use it as HTPC and for game consoles, however, better visual quality would be much appreciated). I should also probably add that the screen size would most probably be no bigger than 100" as per the need for adequate seating distance away from the screen to eliminate screen door effect (the room is approximately 18'x16') Thank you again for your help!

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
With a $6k budget you can pretty much get your pick from a wide range of projectors. All of the projectors already recommended to you are very good ones. I have had my HS10 since last December and it still amazes me each time I watch a movie.

Take your time auditioning as many as you can and try to do it at your home. I've found that this is the best way to make an informed decision.

Michael.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Tom, go for the 16x9 setup. You will find that even now, and most certainly in the near future, widescreen & 16x9 material will have benefit more from the increased resolution of the 16x9 setup. As for the w/s stuff being displayed on a 4x3 vs 16x9 setup, consider the following example...

1- XGA projector @ 1024x768
2- WXGA projector @ 1366x768

You want to watch Toy Story on both of these projectors. PJ#1 will display the movie at 1024x576 and the rest of the vertical resolution will be used to display the black bars. PJ#2 will display the movie at 1366x768 and will have no black bars because the entire 16x9 panel will display the movie. Naturally, if you want to watch Gladiator (2.35:1) then both projectors will have black bars at the top and bottom. PJ#1 will display Gladiator at 1024x436 with large black bars at the top and bottom. PJ#2 will display Gladiator at 1366x581 with smaller black bars at the top and bottom.

On the other hand, if you display Peter Pan (Disney) which is a 4x3 movie then PJ#1 will display it at 1024x768 filling the entire screen. PJ#2 will also display it at 1024x768 but it will have black bars to the left and right of the image.

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, and I have definately decided to go with a widescreen projector. I noticed that while the Sanyo PLV70 can support a 1024x768 image in full (due to the 1366x768 native resolution), the HP TW 100 only has a native resolution of 1280x720 meaning it would not be able to display a full 1024x768 image. Would this resolution limitation affect a 4x3 image significantly? I have narrowed down the field to most likely the Sanyo PLV70 and the Epson TW 100. A better picture in 4x3 could sway it over to the PLV70, though according to projectorcentral.com the TW 100 has slightly better shadow detail (and is recommended over the PLV70 for screens 100" or smaller). I have also decided to forego DLP, as I will be using the theater with guests fairly often and do not want to cause anyone headaches. Any other PJ recommendations for native 16x9 projectors with still excellent 4x3 image quality? Again, thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks