What's new

Projector distance vs screen size (1 Viewer)

I was wondering,

Currently I get an 85" screen size (horizontal) with an old CRT projector at a distance of 7'6".

With today's projector, for example DLPs, do i have to put the projector at a much more longer distance to get the same screen size ?

I asked because, i'm re-modeling and moving my HT to a slightly smaller dedicated room for it.

Thank you !

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Andre. I am going to move your post over to the Display Devices forum as it may be a little advanced for the Basics section. :)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
A 4805 will give you about 50" x 28" - 16:9 screen at the largest for that distance.

Hmmm, in fact, i based my question on this:

sorry, but that was the only way for me to post this url since i don't have 15 posts yet (just remove the spaces in the following url):

h t t p : // w w w . rfowkes . com / html / theroom . html

which clearly states that he got the same diagonal size as my screen, but at a distance of 12' and 8".

With my screen i obtain the same diagonal size but at a distance of 7' 6". So that got me worry that if i replace my projector, i will have to deal with having to reduce my screen size or put the projector at a much longer distance to get the same result.

So that's why i asked if it's the same "distance vs screen size" betwen CRT and DLP projectors.

I hope this can clarify.

Thank you very much.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
You'll need to check the specifications for each projector, as the "screen distance vs size" is likely to be different for every projector out there. In other words, there is no standard!

With all due respect, i know that every projector offers different "screen distance vs size".

What i want to know is: Does CRT projectors requires less distance than other kinds of projector to project at the same screen size ?

Thank you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are modern projectors out there that can accomodate that short throw with a comparable screen size.

I would think the Sony VPL-HS51 projectors could handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks