What's new

Projector Ceiling Mount (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent ceiling mount for my new Optoma H27 DLP Projector. The thing is great, but it has a HUGE offset, and when I sit it on my coffee table I have to prop something underneath it to get the image to display dead-centre of the wall. It's also sitting mid-room, and not providing for a large enough viewing area.

Anyway, I was looking on eBay for some kind of solution, and I noticed a few different kinds of mount... wondering if anyone here might have an opinion or previous experience that they'd like to share.

On eBay, there's:

1) The Inbox (http://cgi.ebay.com/Optoma-H27-Proje...QQcmdZViewItem) - Big, bulky, and ugly... basically, this thing looks like my dad's old sheetmetal inbox at work. It doesn't really look like it provides very much in terms of freedom of movement (just forward & back), but it's made of metal, and looks to be fairly sturdy in construction. $37 + $15 (s&h) USD.

2) The Tripod (http://cgi.ebay.com/PROJECTOR-CEILIN...QQcmdZViewItem) - Looks a little flimsy, although looks can be deceiving. This one looks to provide a bit more freedom of movement than the previous one, although it doesn't look like it'll allow the projector to pivot from side to side (in case my ceiling isn't level & the projector is a little tilted). Like pretty much every other mount, it claims to be the best. $25 + $30 (s&h) USD.

3) The Flimsy (http://cgi.ebay.com/CEILING-MOUNT-fo...QQcmdZViewItem) - No way I'm going with this one unless someone here can point something out that I'm missing. It looks so flimsy, especially compared to all the other products, and doesn't really look like it provides any freedom of movement at all. On top of that, it doesn't really look like it would be able to propery anchor & support the projector, which really concerns me. $19 + $20 (s&h) USD.

4) The Speaker Stand (http://cgi.ebay.com/PROJECTOR-CEILIN...QQcmdZViewItem) - This silver product of "aircraft grade aluminum" looks a little bit more to my liking (although it really reminds me of my old speaker stands), but I'm questionable regarding its construction. Is aluminum the best material for building a ceiling mount? Also, the hinges & fasteners that control the forward/backward/right/left movement concern me - will they actually be able to fasten the projector in place properly once I've centered it to my liking? Otherwise, this one appears to provide more freedom of movement than all the others, and aside from the questionable materials, looks to be of solid construction. $30 + $30 (s&h) USD.

I'm leaning towards #4, simply because it provides much freedom of movement... but I'd like to hear your opinions if you have any. Price is a factor of course, but since the most expensive is $60 USD ($80 Canadian), and I'm going to be using it on a piece of eqipment that cost over $1000, I'd like to make sure it's good enough to protect my investment, while at the same time providing me with the functionality that I need.

Opinions?

Moe.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Moe. When I was shopping for FP, image offset was a concern for me and my low ceilings. Seems like you're going to need a mount thats going to be close to the ceiling. Unless you have high ceilings. No.4 looks like it's well made and hugs the ceiling too. Has a sturdy look to it also. And the price is right.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Well, I decided to just take the plunge, and ordered #4 (The Speaker Stand)... it'll hopefully be here this week... sucks though that the shipping costs MORE than the item itself.

I swear, sometimes these sellers really rip you off on the shipping... :frowning:

Moe.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I too just purchased a H27 from Costco. At $699 (actually $800 after all the taxes & shipping) for a PJ & screen I couldn't pass it up.
I was going too go w/ a IN72 but after reading many reviews I figured the H27 was just as good w/out the rebate hassel (plus I get the screen too for the same price)

Anyways.....

I assume you got the ceiling mount by now.

How did it turn out?

I was actually leaning towards #1, but #4 was also in mind. (I don't think #1 is "ugly")
Now I think about it a lower profile may be what I need too with the huge offset the H27 has. (I do have too get under a ceiling fan in the middle of the room.)

Since I'm here. How's the projector working?
I've read a couple forums that posted their settings for the unit as I've heard that out-of-the-box it needs some adjustment.

Edit: I decided too table mount it at first & see how it works there.

But how is the mount you bought working out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks