What's new

Projector and screen selection for my room (1 Viewer)

drjay71

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Hello all.

I was hoping for some help in selecting the proper projector and screen for my dedicated media room. My budget for the screen and projector is $4000 maximum.

The room is 19 feet long by 15 feet wide. It has 2 windows on the same wall as where the screen is to go (15' wide wall). Each window is about 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall. The room has been prewired for Dolby 7.1. This includes prewiring for the left and right speakers on the same wall where the screen is to be placed. After you subtract the width of the windows and the expected width of in wall speakers for the left and right speakers you can fit a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen easily and possibly a 106" screen. I would like to go with a 106" screen if possible. My plan is to use black out shades for the curtains and my family and I would be watching almost exclusively at night with the lights completely out. If I decide to go with an AT screen, I could easily go to a 120" diagonal screen.

The projector would be mounted about 16 feet from the screen wall. I plan on sitting about 12-13 feet away from the screen. As far as the projector goes, I have seen many of the popular ones including the BenQ1070, Sony VPL-HW55ES, Epson 8350, Espon 3020 and the Epson 5030. Honestly, I thought they were all pretty good with the Epson 5030 and the Sony 55ES the best of the group. Both of these projectors however are easily over $3000. I also saw a Groupon deal for the Mts HC7900DW for $799 which I thought was a good deal. In the past I have had the JVC-HD-950 which was absolutely amazing but I ended up selling it to the buyer of my old home. I am not expecting the same level of PQ with the new projector given my budget but I would like to come very close (I think the Sony 55ES and Epson 5030 do in fact come very close or maybe even exceed the JVC in picture quality).

With this in mind which projector and screen combo would you guys suggest? I have never had a DLP or LCD projector but they seemed fine to me when looking at demos. Is the Epson 5030 for example worth 3x the cost of a BenQ1070? Is a high end screen (Black Diamond) worth 4x the cost of a matte white screen given my viewing habits?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is "crazy talk" That a LCD projector is just as good as a JVC(sarcasm...sorta).If you game. Buy a DLP or the Sony.I would definitely go AT(but, of course...I always recommend AT).So...gaming helps your decision.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
you cant do a good AT screen at your price point. (dont buy crap....or you might as well put up a bed sheet and punch holes in it).

In a light controlled environment a black diamond screen is a very POOR choice.

At $4000 I could get you into a 5030 or 6030 (depending on where you live) with a good screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks