1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Projector Advice Needed - Samsung SP-A800B in limbo

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lionsfan1960, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Lionsfan1960

Lionsfan1960 Auditioning

Hello Everybody,

I have a Dedicated Theater room in a newly built home that has no projector. The "C-net Editor's Choice" Samsung that was originally in the spot was defective and though it was sent back the day after Thanksgiving last year, a replacement has yet to be sent to my theater designer.

So...what projector do you recommend for a 22 foot room with a 150" screen? I'm looking at $8,000 or less, though it will be up there for a long time so if there's a great value for a little more, I'd consider it.

Signed,
    Unused theater room owner in Michigan (Mike)

2. hodedofome

hodedofome Stunt Coordinator

I'm surprised you chose the Samsung for a 150" screen. I didn't think it was bright enough for that large of a screen. A fantastic projector for sure, I just didn't know it could go that big and still be bright enough in it's best mode. You'll want something with a bunch of lumens in it's 'best' mode (the brightest mode usually sacrifices color accuracy) and under $10k it narrows it down pretty good. In InFocus IN83 is the one that comes to mind, the JVC RS2 might do it but I don't think it's as bright as the InFocus. The Planar PD8150 might do it. Not sure the Sony VPL-VW70 is bright enough.

3. SherardP

SherardP Stunt Coordinator

With that budget you should skip the RS2 and look at the newer JVC RS10 and RS20. Not sure what gain screen you have but I have reports from owners with 159" screens reporting back succcessful results. Worth a look

4. hodedofome

hodedofome Stunt Coordinator

Is the RS10/20 even out yet? That's the only reason why I didn't recommend them was because he said he's been waiting and he's tired of waiting...

5. SherardP

SherardP Stunt Coordinator

Yes both models of the new JVC projectors are available for sale now.

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    wow...150 " ??