What's new

Projector Advice Needed - Samsung SP-A800B in limbo (1 Viewer)

Lionsfan1960

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello Everybody,

I have a Dedicated Theater room in a newly built home that has no projector. The "C-net Editor's Choice" Samsung that was originally in the spot was defective and though it was sent back the day after Thanksgiving last year, a replacement has yet to be sent to my theater designer.

So...what projector do you recommend for a 22 foot room with a 150" screen? I'm looking at $8,000 or less, though it will be up there for a long time so if there's a great value for a little more, I'd consider it.

Signed,
Unused theater room owner in Michigan (Mike)

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I'm surprised you chose the Samsung for a 150" screen. I didn't think it was bright enough for that large of a screen. A fantastic projector for sure, I just didn't know it could go that big and still be bright enough in it's best mode. You'll want something with a bunch of lumens in it's 'best' mode (the brightest mode usually sacrifices color accuracy) and under $10k it narrows it down pretty good. In InFocus IN83 is the one that comes to mind, the JVC RS2 might do it but I don't think it's as bright as the InFocus. The Planar PD8150 might do it. Not sure the Sony VPL-VW70 is bright enough.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
With that budget you should skip the RS2 and look at the newer JVC RS10 and RS20. Not sure what gain screen you have but I have reports from owners with 159" screens reporting back succcessful results. Worth a look

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

Is the RS10/20 even out yet? That's the only reason why I didn't recommend them was because he said he's been waiting and he's tired of waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread