What's new

Project "Turn that s*** down!" completed... (1 Viewer)

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I seriously just showed the wifey and thanx to you I can now say I have a wimpy, and I mean wimpy sub! Maybe its time for a DIY for me. Been thinking about it since last Nov. but have not had anytime to do it.

PS. Your wife must be blind. Or else she would have caught you nad killed you by now. I know mine would have. :D

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The "Thunder" 12.3 configuration with the dual 15" PRs would fit in a smaller space, for those who want a huge-sounding sub but can't afford the space a huge sub takes up. I have one currently under construction, and it is now just waiting for driver, PRs, and a few miscellaneous parts, and then I can finish it.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

OK, I am so jealous now. First off, that is one amazing sub. Great job with it. Actually after I built my Tempest I started dreaming about even bigger ones and a dual AV-15 was one of my dream projects.

Secondly, that sounds like a fantastic vacation. Relaxing, boarding, working on a killer DIY project, and then enjoying the results watching movies. Thats the life!

Eric Eash

Second Unit
hello everyone, i'm back finally. since i last posted, i've picked up a denon 2900 dvd player, a yamaha rx-v2400, avia test disc, and an analog RS meter. now for the good stuff.
i have been amazed at the performance of this sub. everything i feed it just comes out the way it was meant to. extreme extension sounds beautiful and accurately reproduced. i've been running through all my favorite dvds, the bass heavy and not, and it all sounds better. i plan on buying a BFD soon, but i haven't run any eq tests. so far, i'm not noticing any spikes or nulls with regular viewing. i've got it positioned the same way as in the pics, which is around 7ft. from the listening position. sounds great there, but i plan on rearranging the room once my rockets arrive and a few other diy projects come together, i think i'll then play with some different locations and tailor the room to the subs placement. i have gotten a few headaches from this thing, so it does go loud. i've gotten over 120dbs at the listening position in a room that is a little over 2500 ft^3 with an opening to the kitchen and dining room. monsters inc, finding nemo, matrix, and fight club have all hit 120db. i had to clear these tests with the neighbors first of course, and they all came to watch after the first couple high db bursts. normal listening levels @ -15db below reference have yielded peaks of around 105db, barely breathing. not once have i heard a peep from the port, so i think i nailed that. i had some rubbing going on with one of the spikes and the finish, got really annoying. i took it off and put some padding between the spike and box, quiet now. now as for the rest of the house, i think we need to relocate all the wifes dodads to other parts of the house. music has been great as well. very good response and extremely clean. i created a test disc using a test tone generator, and have been able to get everything from 5Hz and up to register. i know 5hz sine waves can be lethal to a sub, but i watch it. it has to be the coolest thing though to recreate an earthquake. northern japan has had some of the strongest earthquakes ever within the last 6 months, and without knowing it was a sub knocking out 5hz, anyone would be fooled. last thing of note, even though it has always been a favorite movie of mine, if you don't have fight club, buy it now. best bass dvd i have, and i got them all from the haunting DTS to titan AE. fight club doesn't have the most bass, or the lowest (be careful not to bottom your sub on BHD F**king irene scene), but i enjoy the bass in it the most. that's all for now, new pics coming soon, BHD extension!!!

take care,

eric

Adam-S

Auditioning
Awesome Sub!!!!! You wouldnt happen to have any kind of plans so all of us would have an idea how to build one just like it. I just happen to have two RCF L18p540 drivers lying around!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You would want to come up with a different cabinet for your RCFs (since each cabinet is specifically for each individual design of driver), though they should make excellent subs. We can help you out with the cabinet. Just start a thread of your own and we can begin.

Robert

Grip
I am in LOVE.....with that sub.!!!:b
I MUST have one....
Nice job. Hope you don't create any earthquakes !!!
Maybe the military will use it as some kind of new weapon???:emoji_thumbsup:

PierreAC

Auditioning
AMAZING SUB

I love this place, before you guys my wife thought I was nuts, now she just says I have HT lite and you guys are nuts....

I showed her the pic of your sub and she freaked thinking I wanted to build something simlar.... all I want to do is upgrade my current one, should be no problem now that she saw what COULD happen ..... :D

My page...

members.rogers.com/htnut

Eric Eash

Second Unit
thanks again guys. in the last couple months, i have been in heaven with this thing. there is absolutely nothing i can throw at it that it can't handle, and do so extremely well. not one touch of port noise, i've hit over 120dbs at 6ft away, and i can get the house shaking at 5hz and up. not too much more you can ask for. all my friends love it. i am returning to the states for a month this april. having a good friend watch my dogs while i'm gone and all he keeps talking about is being able to use my HT and the sub.

just tell her that in the summer, i plan on building two more av15 subs, and running them off my left and right channels. all gearing up for when i move back to the states in 2 years where it will be IB time and i hope to have a bunch of drivers, like maybe 12 total. once you experience bass this good, you only want more. stay tuned for more diy projects including two sealed av15s, a diy flexy a/v rack, and a diy screen design that is quite simply genious.

peace out,

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
okay, another thing to help show off my sub, and to aspire others to try their hand at a diy sub. not more than 2 minutes ago, i got the bravest i ever have. i put in my test cd, with sweeps and every tone between 5-100Hz. i put it on 16Hz, and then set my yamaha receiver to -5. this is definiately the hardest i have pushed this sub yet, and by the feel of it, i was reaching 1/2 Xmax, with no port noise, amp doing great, no clipping, lots more to go on the receiver, gain on amp set at 28 which is about 6db hot over the rest of the speakers, but this is how i like it. anyways, uncorrected i hit 113db @ 16Hz on my analog RS SPL meter. set to 110, c weighting, and fast response. corrected that's 124.5db @ 16Hz. what do you guys think about that? i'm going to give all components a rest for the rest of the day. diy is the way to go!

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit

amazingly, yes. today i hit over 90dB @ 10Hz on my RS meter, uncorrected at my listening position. got too close to Xmax so i didn't go any further. awesome.

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks