What's new

Project Greenlight 2 (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You know, inside, someone has to be saying: "How did we end up with these immature twits?" What will be a bigger kick in the ass is if the movie "Prisoner" the other optioned film from PGL which was taken on by another studio, turns into something..

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I think my favorite scene last night was Amy Smart in the back of the limo just rolling the window up on the idiots. And then giving them the finger. "Look at these two guys ... they don't know what they're doing."

I think I fell in love with her at that moment.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else think the point of this whole project is not to make a successful movie, but to make a successful television show? I sure do, and I love it.

Blu

Screenwriter
The idiot twins are just pathetic.
I think that the producers of the show selected them because they are idiots and way over their heads in this project just to make a interesting show.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else think the point of this whole project is not to make a successful movie, but to make a successful television show? I sure do, and I love it.
I think you are exactly correct. I remember Chris Moore having major reservations about using 2 directors. I thought for sure they weren't going to be chosen. But as you stated, it is making for very entertaining TV. I'm not sure that Miramax will give an OK for a GL 3, though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Since Project Greenlight gets a grand budget of $1M, I'd be surprised if HBO didn't pick up on it. It's a no-lose bet, even if the movie tanks. Since the movie makes for good programming for HBO for several weeks, and you can sell the box set of all the episodes on DVD, the $1M comes back to you real quick.

I think it was a bland threat "we'll cancel" $1M is less then a single episode of "Friends" figure in even the production cost of doing the show, you're maybe at $2M or so for the whole run. HBO would be insane to not sponsor it on their own.. no one is losing money on PGL.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing. They can make a bad movie for 1M, but cash in on a good TV show, which probably does better than the million.

Paul Mason

Stunt Coordinator
From Chris Moore's first byline on the official site -

I guess the reason I am so focused on the marketing and box-office of the film is that if "Shaker Heights" does not do well for Miramax I feel Project Greenlight is over. There is a general understanding among the partners, HBO, Miramax, and Blockbuster that each distinct spoke of the Project Greenlight wheel must make money. It is a business after all. Last cycle, Stolen Summer was not successful financially. Basically, Miramax lost big money. The show was a hit so HBO was ready to go again, but still none of the money from the show goes to pay for the movie, it pays for the show. HBO does not want to do a series about the making of a movie for HBO, and I agree with this. That is too weird and inside and they do not want to pay for the movie, so we need a movie company. Also, LivePlanet does not want to make a movie with a show about the making of that movie, and then have people not able to see the movie. So we need a distributor, again Miramax. So Project Greenlight depends on the movie being financially successful. Miramax did us a real solid by allowing us to keep going this second round. So please, go see the movie when it comes out.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
You have to remember that there are tremendous expenses involved in the filming of the tv show, as well. Look at the end credits, and you realize that there are a ton of people working on the tv series. Someone has to be filming every second they are working, in order to get those "tidbits" of tension. Like when Chris Moore broke the chair.

So, you can't assume that the whole thing only costs 1M. And, as Chris Moore said, the tv show pays for the tv show, the movie has to pay for the movie.

Frankly, I love this show, and hope it continues. What a great inside look at the workings of Hollywood.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
HBO does not want to do a series about the making of a movie for HBO, and I agree with this. That is too weird and inside and they do not want to pay for the movie, so we need a movie company. Also, LivePlanet does not want to make a movie with a show about the making of that movie, and then have people not able to see the movie.
So, Let HBO give LivePlanet money on the side to make a movie independently, LivePlanet can release the movie through HBO Films and let this series run on its own. It makes great TV, and is another strong cog in the HBO show machine. If they can pay David Chase & JGandolfini big bucks for one Spranos Ep, I am sure they can find a way to pony up some of that same cash to make a "minor" movie and then film the results to continue one of the few reality series that has really worked. I also think the Miramax piece of the series has been played down much more this year than last season, they seemed omnipresent last season, battling over budgets etc, this year they are a very minor presence. It seems to me they can find a workaround without Miramax if the TV show succeeds.

Does anyone know the ratings details of how well this show is performing?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Let's say that the production is $1M, which is a granted because that's all the budget they've got from Mirimax. TV show ads another $1M, you're less then 1/3 of Gandolfini's per episode salary :)

And you know the DVD Box set sells well enough, along with the options for cable rights, etc.. it's hard to believe Mirimax "lost bad" on "Stolen Summer" figuring in the sell of the DVD, which may be small, and a meager box office (I think $200k, right?) and the sell of the option to Starz.. I can't see where they lost a whole hell of a lot on a $1M project to them, especially considerng HBO still contracts and pays them out part of that sum to broadcast the production.

I'm sure Chris Moore wants this thing to be successful; actually, I will probably see this one at the theaters, because I like the general script and actors more then the first..

That having been said, I'd bet money some studio would pony up $1M just for this kind of name exposure alone. Cheaper then 1 day's ink in Variety.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I didn't understand that. Was the van marked? I didn't see any markings on it. If it was marked I can understand it though.

The whole debacle with the scene in the limo was really frustrating, I felt bad for the actors. The scene where the two directors each went to the limo right after eachother and gave completely opposite directions was pretty funny though. :)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I think the complaint about the van in the scene was just a general "What the hell are you doing? Were shooting film, and you don't have control over what your crew is doing?" I don't think the problem was with the van, per se, but rather the lack of control of the set.

Watching next weeks preview again, it looks like Efram strikes again, telling a boom operator where to put the mic, rather than trusting the guy to do his job correctly. I'll be curious to see if the boom got in the shot, or if Efram was just micromanaging. And, does the union let the guy be fired. And, what does Chris Moore have to say about it.

Also, I've noticed that one the official website, there has been no articles by the "boys". Each week, Chris Moore writes one, Erica writes one, and Balis has written a few. But the "boys" haven't contributed. Interesting.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
That is interesting (about who's writing articles) maybe a little heads up as to who has a future ;)

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the complaint with the van was that they were shooting a daytime scene, but the van drove by with its lights on.

I guess that's what happens when you shoot a daytime scene after the sun goes down. ;)

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
The trailer does looks good and the tone looks nothing like what we have seen so far. It could be a winner, despite these off camera gyrations we are seeing

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I think the trailer looks great, as well. I love the fact that the got Don LaFontaine to do the movie trailer voiceover. That's a riot! I hope we get to see some of that on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks