1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Scan DVD help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JamesP_M, Mar 5, 2005.

1. JamesP_M

JamesP_M Auditioning

Sony DVP-NS700p
    Toshiba 50H81 HDTV

I have always set the DVD player to progessive scan playback believing that it was the best way to watch DVDs. I had noticed some chromo bug/pixalation on the walls but never really thought anything of it

A few days ago I was watching JFK and I noticed during one part that the disortion got pretty bad. This is the scene were Costner goes to the restroom in the airport and we get close up of his face which is near the stall wall. The entire red wall was pixelated and distoreted. This got my attention and I now notice it alot in everything I watch. Peoples skin will get distorted during close up etc, walls are blotchy etc..etc..

So before taking it back to the store I remembered I could switch btwn prog and interlaced...so I did...and low and behold the picture was fine. Very little to no distortion at all.

So my question is...is there something wrong with the DVD player or are somethings just better to watch without progressive scan. If so, how can I tell so I dont have to stop the movie midway to switch settings.