What's new

Problems with West Wing Season 3, Disc 1 (1 Viewer)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
On the episode Manchester Part II, there is heavy skipping and pixellization around the 18-22 minute mark, in a few places. I've played in in 3 DVD players, and the effects are all there, in varying degrees. I wonder if this is safe to return for a different disc, or if this is a widespread problem where they will have to reprint discs?

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Got the set yesterday, and was watching it last night. I got to about half way through Manchester Part II, but not sure if I passed the 18-22 minute mark (I was tired). I noticed no problems whatsoever, so either it's not a widespread problem, or I turned it off just before I got to your problem. One thing I did forget was the lighting scheme to the show, which makes eveything look quite soft, but it's always been like that with the west wing.

Gary Nash

Agent
No problems with Disc 1, but I had major problems with Disc 2 side B. At ch3-4 transition (00:20:31), picture pixellates really badly, freezes, stutters etc. If you try skipping from ch3-4, it skips 4 and goes straight to 5.
Using the play-all option shows the error at the same point (but different refs ch15-16 01:47:19.

I'm asked my dealer if I can just replce the faulty disc as the others work fine and I don't want to exchange the whole set and find I get a dodgy Disc 1 !!

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
After looking at the disc a little more closely, it seems to have the trademark signs of layer separation (at least I think that's what the technical term is), where there's odd bits of glue around the center of the disc beneath the outer plastic layer. I took it back and exchanged it, and the problem is solved.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent to hear Greg! I did log on to say that I watched all of Manchester Part II last night and had no problems whatsoever. However Gary Nash's post has disconcerted me a little. Suppose I won't know till I finish the season. Still gotta say I hate the DVD-18 format anyway, thank goodness I had no floaters when I received it. Anyone know when Season 4 is released, as the R2 discs seem inferior, certainly season 1 was.

JasonBrown

Stunt Coordinator
The blooper reel, mentioned on the packaging and the inside booklet, are nowhere to be found on these discs, right?

Seth R

Auditioning
I too ran into the same problem with disc 2 (although side A). Right around the 22:00 mark it starts to stutter and then finally locks up. Tried it on a few different players, all of which lock at exactly the same place (although the behavior up to the lock differed some from player to player). My disc 1 was problem free and so far disc 3 seems fine.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I'm halfway through Disc 2, and (touch wood) not had any problems whatsoever. It does sound though that this may be a problematic set.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying this season. When watching it on TV I felt let down after the superb 2nd series, but it seems to be playing much better the second time around.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Update: on side B of disc 2, I had some pixellation (a small nasty green square showed up, a bit of freeze-framing on video though audio was fine), but it wasn't serious and I was still able to watch the episode all the way through (either ep 15 or 16) without missing anything substantively.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I know there was a problem with one of the sets (season 1 I believe). Same thing people are describing here: pixelation and picture breakup, but it only occured on Sony players and Mac computers (both of which I have). When I got my Panasonic DVD-R the first thing I did was test the faulty disc and it played fine.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks