What's new

Problems with Sony VPL-HS20 (1 Viewer)

Richard_P

Auditioning
I have had this projector a couple of weeks now and for the most part I believe it is a fine product and is a real value for the money. That said, it has a quirk that is about to drive me crazy. When watching a DVD, the picture will sometimes start to "shake/jiggle", then it shifts to the right, then kind of gets garbled up in the top right corner of the screen. When it does this, I noticed that I can cycle through the inputs and when I get back to "component" it has corrected itself. But, it usually comes back in a few minutes. It only does this (so far) when the DVD player is in progressive scan mode. When I switch to interlaced, it works fine but with not the same definition offered by the progressive scan mode. I replaced the Denon 910 I was using with a Denon 2200, but the problem still came back.

Sometimes I can watch half a movie in progressive mode before it starts acting up, then I have to switch the DVD player to interlaced. So, is this a projector problem or maybe just a setting problem?

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I would direct my attention at the Projector. As you said, you can scroll through the settings and get it back to normal, but then shortly after it screws up again. If you're following manual recommendations, it shouldn't have anything to do with your settings.

P.S.
I'm wondering how you can call the projector a "fine product and is a real value for the money" when it is constantly screwing up on you?

Richard_P

Auditioning
>>>P.S.
I'm wondering how you can call the projector a "fine product and is a real value for the money" when it is constantly screwing up on you?>>

I guess that is just my natural optimism coming through. When it is working correctly, it has a picture equal to that of projectors costing $ thousands more. Also, I was still holding onto the hope that the problem could be corrected with some sort of adjustment in the setup menus that I might be overlooking.

However, you are most likely correct in that there is actually some defect in this projector that will require technical repair. Even then, I feel that mine is the exception that slipped through quality control given the intermittent nature of the problem. I really do think it is a fine product, I just happened to get one with a "bug". At this point, I do not believe that my isolated experience is indicative of any widespread product failure given the glowing reviews of this projector that I continue to read.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks