What's new

Problems with I Love Lucy - Season 4 "See Post #44" (1 Viewer)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Why? Especially since in my case all Paramount asked for was a letter and the proof of purchase tab?

I'll bet anything there will be no way to distinguish the new pressings from the old anyway. That's what Uni did with Back to the Future and Warner did with Kiss Me Kate - they didn't ID the new versions at retail (that's IF the did press any) - but they were prompt in replacing the discs.

I say go ahead and pick up the set, send in your tab and letter and rest assured you will have the proper version. No guessing involved, or having to make return trips to the store if you get an older package. All you are out is the cost of the stamp and who knows how long the offer (or supply of replacement discs) might last anyway?

The folks at Paramount are doing right by the customers on this one - I was especially impressed by how courteous they were upon returning my call.

Now if we could just get them to sell/send us the box for the ten Star Trek SE 2-Disc movies we've all been collecting now for a while life would be perfect. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I can understand wanting to wait but to me the problem would be (along with the above mentioned possibility), how long will it take to actually get them into stores? Yesterday, I saw someone say that they still can't find the corrected Back To The Future discs yet. So who knows how long will it take to get the corrected ILL sets out everywhere.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just read the missing dialogue on Post #30, from Larry.

I have the Season 4 Set, but maybe getting older has made me more passive. I mean, please don't get me wrong... I want ALL My television shows and movies to be unedited, but sometimes I can't help shrugging it off. In this particular case, there's nothing extraordinary missing, and I can't help but feel that I'll rarely be playing this whole set enough times in the rest of my life (anyway) to blink an eye at the missing lines. In fact, I watched this episode before ever discovering this thread and had no idea anything was cut. Now that I've found out what exactly was missing, it's just not that big a deal to me, except on principal.

I'm not trying to condone accepting butchered prints of anything, but just saying that for some reason this doesn't seem like something that's that important (for me). Maybe if a key moment of a scene or some really good dialogue was excised, but not this...

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Everything Nick said in post #54 is true. Paramount also called me back after I had left a message on their voice mail. You do NOT have to send in the disc. Only the proof of purchase tab and letter. The only thing wrong was the spelling of the product manager's name. It's Ickovitz, (not Ickovite). Here it is again:

Jason Ickovitz (Product Manager Marketing)
c/o Paramount Home Entertainment
5555 Melrose Ave
Bluhdorn 240
Hollywood, CA 90038

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Now that was QUICK! My replacement season four discs (4 & 5) arrived Saturday from Paramount. Anyone else get theirs?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Mailed my request on Saturday, got my replacement discs on Tuesday. Not only did they replace the discs, but also the slim line cases and art inserts as well! Very impressed! Thanks, Paramount!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My replacement discs came yesterday.

I have to echo everyone else's praises
concerning Paramount.

Not only did they step up to the plate
and take care of this problem, but they
did so without asking for people to send
the old discs back.

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

So what is different about the new releases of the Season 4 sets? I thought that they decided to include the "Lost Dialogue" as a bonus on the last disk of Season 4. They could not insert the missing footage into the scenes because the quality, according to what Mr. Oppenheimer said, was just too poor on those 16mm film back up prints. Please varify. Thanks!

Jack

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Jack--The missing scenes are included as extras in the redone version. Also, some digital cleanup work was done for one episode. If you have the opportunity to replace your disks, do it--it's worth it.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Has there been any word as to whether Paramount will fix the Season 5 glitch in "Lucy Meets the Queen"? It looks as if there was an encoding problem in the scene where Lucy and Ethel are trying to make their way past autograph hounds. TVSHOWSONDVD.Com mentioned it when they announced a replacement for the set (subtitles pop up in the grape stomping episode), but at the time Paramount hadn't addressed that particular problem.

YELLOW11

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hello, I bought Season Four a while ago when it came out. I want to get the replacement disc for the extra material but, I can't find the box and therefore can't get the proof of purchase tab. If someone could post the dialouge from the material missing or maybe even a video clip I would really appreciate this!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm glad someone else mentioned "The Fashion Show." It's always been one of my favorites and one I went to early on. It DOES have an overly "digital" (for lack of a better word) feel to it. I haven't noticed it yet on any other episode, but I also haven't gone all the way through them.

The effect isn't awful, but it feels as though the original elements weren't in that great of shape.

Jack--The missing scenes are included as extras in the redone version. Also, some digital cleanup work was done for one episode. If you have the opportunity to replace your disks, do it--it's worth it.
I know this thread is extremely old, but does anyone know whether "The Fashion Show" episode was the one that was cleaned up? My son and I are re-watching the Hollywood episodes, and it is the 2005 I LOVE LUCY Season 4 set that we have (Along with 1-3 and 5-6, all individual season DVD sets!). I don't recall that episode looking overly digital, but it has been about 3 years since my wife and I last viewed it.

CHEERS! :)

P.S. Of course, after making this post, I just had to check our ILL Season 5 DVD set. While "The Fashion Show" episode opening might be a bit jerky (Which could be due to my PC setup, along with the power of suggestion!), the visuals otherwise look good even when paused, and aren't overly digital to my eyes!

All of the aforementioned "Lost Scenes" (10 in all!) are also included on the last disc, so I assume this to be the fixed set!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks