What's new

Problems Playing Alias Season 1 DVD's (1 Viewer)

Ron Schildt

Agent
I have another thread related to this topic in the Hardware section:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=159400

But from a software standpoint is there something I should be aware of?

Background:
I can't play season 1 of Alias on my old JVC 701BK DVD player. It attempts to read the disk, and when it can't, it just spits it back out. I've only had this happen once before (I think it was with Scary Movie), and wondered if there are cetain types of DVD's that some players have problems with. Certain authoring techniques, or ways studios produce DVD's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
My Phillips Magnavox DVD player purchased in 1998 had a difficult time playing numerous Disney DVDs. It also couldn't play DVD-18s.

This last January I purchased a new player and have had no problems.

Players are cheap. DVD software changes and evolves all the time.

I am going to follow the strategy of purchasing a new player every couple of years. There is no guarantee there won't be glitches, but at least the "age factor" can be ruled out as a cause.

Ron Schildt

Agent
I should be able to figure this out when I get home today, but in the mean time, does anyone know what format Alias & Scary Movie DVD's are??

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a Buena Vista release, perhaps the same disc authoring methods are used as the Disney releases? They are notorious for having problems on some players. I've had 2 Toshibas that have had problems with Disneys.

-Dave

Ron Schildt

Agent
Looks like Buena Vista's authoring may be the problem as Alias, Scary Movie and Disney all are done by them.

Anyone know what they do differently...and more important, is there a way to get them to play on my JVC 701BK?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks